United Nations Development Programme, Bissau, Guinea
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant, hired as Data Analyst, under the direct supervision of the head of the Strategic and Economic Unit and will perform the following functions:
Summary of key functions:
- Data Management and Analysis
- Data Visualization, Reporting and Application
- Technical Support
- Identify key data gaps Economic Recovery and Resilience tracking in Guinea-Bissau, with particular emphasis in region with highest multidimensional poverty index (Gabu, Oio Bafata, and Bolama) and islands region (Bolama), and with a particular emphasis on primary data
- Develop a process for and understand primary data gathering (e.g. designing and conducting periodic perception surveys)
- Identify and integrate additional primary and secondary data into analysis for programming and policy as required by the unit, adressing the evolving needs
- Develop a platform for online information management and ensure content is current, comprehensive, and follows relevant metadata standards;
- Understand, document, and ensure the quality of high-value data for accuracy, consistency and comparability, and advise on the applications of these
- Support the design, development and management of databases, spreadsheets and other data tools
- Contribute with new ideas for improving the data engine, quality, and timeliness of current issues
- Suport the setting up of Evidence labs, capacity transfer plan and Evidence based research with relevant UNDP Partners
- Build a network consisting of local and international organizations that apply data science to policymaking and programming
- Support fundraising efforts by producing insightful visulation of data/infographics
- Apply advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple real-time decision systems, organize large datasets to get actionable insights
- Provide other support and assistance as required
- A methodology with a workplan
- Scope and prepare an engagement plan for local and international organizations that apply data science to policymaking and programming
- A finalized Crisis Risk Dashboard for Guinea Bissau
- A finalized Data Science Roadmap for the Strategic and Economic Unit
Terms of Payment:
- Monthly upon completion and satisfactory performance of the assignment, as agreed with the supervisor at the beginning of each month.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong track record in data science and related fields
- Working knowledge of data analytics, cloud computing, business intelligence and visualizations, Agile and DevOps methodologies
- Working knowledge of programming language including Python, R, and front-end frameworks
- Ability to build strong and sustainable relationships and capability to interact at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to deliver in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to support the development of digital initiatives to support business objectives
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop new strategies & innovative projects
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of UNDP and the SDGs
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in fields related to Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Data Science, Statistics or equivalent field.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in data management, applied science, statistics, information systems, or another analytical field
- Experience in data analytics and programming in languages such as R or Python
- Experience in supporting Digital Product development.
- Have experience working with UN agencies and governmental entities, especially on the development of statical capacity, methodologies, and frameworks.
- Experience working in countries with weak governance institutions and scarce data.
- Experience working in SIDS, LDCs and/or African countries are preferred.
- Excellent verbal and writing communication skills (fluency) in English and Portuguese/ or French