Data Analytics Intern
Management Systems International, Arlington, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
The Bangladesh Partnership Initiative
In 2014, Chevron launched the five-year “Bangladesh Partnership Initiative” (BPI) to complement and maximize the impact of its existing economic development and social investment programs. The goal of the project is to sustainably improve the livelihoods, employability, incomes, and inclusiveness of communities near Chevron’s operations in Greater Sylhet in the districts of Sylhet, Moulvibazar, and Hobiganj. BPI is currently comprised of two projects — “Jibika II,” an enterprise development and access to finance project, the latter of which is being implemented by BRAC and its partner, Institute of Development Affairs (IDEA), and “Uttoron,” a workforce development program being carried out by Swisscontact. Chevron has contracted with MSI to collect monthly monitoring data on village development organizations’ operations, finances, and outcomes.
- The intern’s primary responsibility would be to help engineer a workflow process starting with a collection of Excel worksheets and workbooks, leading to a collection of cleaned and merged data files which are then processed into multiple indicator tables and visualizations displayed in a static dashboard. Further development may include display in an interactive dashboard.
- Masters degree student in any quantitative social science (economics, epidemiology, sociology) or explicitly an analytics field such as data science, operations research, information technology, computer science, etc.
- High abilities with R programming language, including use of R for automation of data handling, static or interactive dashboards, and hosting active web pages.
- Abilities with Git for hosting, version control, and reproducible research
- Professional demeanor and diplomatic communication skills, especially via email.
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize within a multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent writing/editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and the ability to learn new software programs quickly.
- Fluency in a second language, preferably Arabic, French or Spanish preferred