The objective of the Data Science Research Internship is to provide the intern with the opportunity to work on how to deploy big data and machine learning approaches on development issues; and particularly to analyze and learn from text-based sources of data using natural language processing algorithms and tools. In particular, the intern will contribute to data acquisition, preparation, analysis, and visualizations efforts.
More information about UNDP’s private sector related work can be found online at www.iicpsd.org and sdgailab.org. The Programme operates under the rules and regulations of the UNDP Internship Policy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Data Science Research Intern will work under the direct supervision and guidance of the technical specialist. The intern will perform the following functions:
- Participate in the developing machine-learning research;
- Apply advanced Natural Language Processing techniques to build, maintain, and improve on analytics, organize large datasets to get actionable insights from them;
- Help communicating findings accurately to different stakeholders;
- Support the implementation of Data Science projects;
- Collaborate with private and public organizations to get access to their databases;
- Outreach to organizations as well as academic institutions that apply data science to policymaking
- Provide other support and assistance as required.
- Note that the internship will be 100% home-based and no travel to the office premices in Istanbul is required.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a second university degree programme (Master Degree)
- be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (Bachelor Degree)
- have graduated with a university degree
- in fields such as Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Physics, Economics or similar and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Fluent in English with excellent reading and writing skills.