DDG Head of Programme
Danish Refugee Council, Tripoli, Libya
Closing Date for Applications:
The Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is looking for a highly qualified and motivated Head of Programme to manage and strengthen Danish Demining Group's (DDG's) mine action activities in Libya.
Who are we?
The Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a unit within the Danish Refugee Council (DRC). DDG's mandate is to recreate a safe environment where people are free from the threat of landmines, explosive remnants of war and small arms and light weapons
About the job
Overall purpose of the role:
- Responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation
- Responsible for providing technical input to the implementing actors within the different sectors
- Responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within respective areas
- Enable and oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation activities across the entire country operation
- Fundraising activities and external representation
Your main duties and responsibilities are:
- Programme Management: The DDG Head of Programme will report to the Country Director (based in Tripoli) and have the overall responsibility of the DDG portfolio in Libya, including planning, implementation, financial management and monitoring. The DDG Head of Programme will manage DDG technical programme staff, including people planning, development, capacity building and performance appraisal.
- Strategic Direction: In coordination with the other SMT members and under the lead of the Libya Country Director, the DDG Head of Programme will play a key role in leading DDG’s strategic direction in Libya and ensuring programme coherence with DDG’s global strategy.
- Quality: The DDG Head of Programme will ensure a high level of quality throughout the entire operation ranging from implementation of activities, adherence to organizational procedures as well as quality in materials delivered to donors.
- External Relations: In coordination with the DRC Head of Programme and Country Director, the DDG Head of Programme will be responsible for donor liaison and for liaison/representation with the local authorities and UN authorities in the areas of implementation, as well as at national level, under the guidance of the Country Director and in coordination with the DRC/DDG Libya SMT.
- Operational Oversight: With support from the DDG Operations Manager, the DDG Head of Programme will ensure that operational planning for Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) teams, Battle Area Clearance (BAC) Teams, Community Liaison, Risk Education and AVR activities is carried out and will maintain a Quality Management (QM) structure that includes monitoring the impact of DDG programming as well as productivity (outputs) and adherence to operational Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the field. The DDG Head of Programme will ensure that quality reporting is delivered to the Mine Action authority in a timely manner and bear the overall responsibility for ensuring correct and needed equipment is sourced to the programme.
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- An MA/MSc or equivalent level in a relevant discipline
- At least 7 years' experience in relevant field.
- At least 4 years' experience with people management
- Experience in managing programme operations, including at country senior management level
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Familiarity with relevant evolving HMA concepts and operations including discussions on humanitarian IED responses, etc.
- Experience developing and/or managing AVR type programmes.
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, mine action donors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Full professional proficiency in English in required.
- Full professional proficiency in Arabic is desired.
All DDG roles require the post-holder to master DDG’s core competencies:
- • Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- • Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- • Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- • Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- • Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DDG’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.