For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
- Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
- MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
In 2020-2021, MdM will run directly 5 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 2 in Damboa) and support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly deplacements of population as well as cholera outbreak).
MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the supervision of the general coordinator, you are in charge of programs, overseeing the implementation of MdM intervention in Borno state and ensuring the overall quality of MdM programming. You guarantee that the medical activities implemented through the project are in line with MdM’s strategy, policies and principles.
- You support the general coordinator in designing and rolling out the mission strategy, in Borno and potentially in other areas of needs in Nigeria. To do so, you are responsible to maintain relation with the MoH, identify potential partners and represent MdM externally in programmatic discussion (at cluster & donor level – along with the general coordinator).
- You are also in charge, along with the general coordinator to propose and develop new programming initiatives, new partnerships as well as to anticipate phasing out of programs if necessary.
- You manage directly the following team: pharmacist coordinator, health coordinator and technical advisors (GBV, MHPSS, SRH, IEC, medical and nutrition). You also have a functional link with the medical advisor in HQ and work in close collaboration with Maiduguri support coordinators (Log, Finance and HR), Damboa field cordinator, the grant officer and the medical team.
Your main responsibilities are:
Context analysis, needs assessment and strategic planning
- Ensure a close monitoring of the humanitarian situation in Borno as well as in other areas of interest in Nigeria in collaboration with the medical team
- Provide monthly updates on the humanitarian situation
- Inform on a timely basis the general coordinator about any specific situation in Borno which could lead to an MdM response or adjustment of the operational approach
- Be proactive in suggesting new assessments and new programmatic developments to adjust program portfolio to existing needs
- Coordinate the organization of ad hoc need assessment as well as the deployment of the emergency response team, in case of deterioration of the humanitarian situation (mainly linked to new displacement of population or cholera outbreak)
- Support the general coordinator in developing and rolling out the mission strategy based on prior needs analysis, actors mapping, gap analysis and understanding of MdM programmatic added value and mandate
- Ensure quality & timely program implementation
- Lead the development of the general strategy on MdM medical activities
- Make sure the different components of the program are consistent and perfectly integrated and in link with population needs
- Support your team in the identification of partners, development of healthy partnership, as well as capacity building
- Support the pharma team for availability of quality drugs on line with activities implemented in all component of the project
- Be responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management of the program
- Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the general coordinator and develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure at project level
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different staff and departments involved in the program and act as a mediator when necessary
- Be responsible for the recruitment of the team under your direct supervision and develop a positive management of it
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Support team members professionally, monitor and support stress management
- Supervise the whole program team, ensure regular coordination, information sharing, develop a good team dynamic and take suitable action when problems occur
- Pilot the nationalization process of key staffs within his department and develop a culture of empowerment
- Ensure and respect communication lines of the organizational chart/or make sure that communication line among the medical team is respected
- Support the development of a training plan for the program team
Monitoring and reporting
- Ensure that all needed data of the program are well collected on a monthly basis and integrated in MdM monitoring tool
- Carry out a monthly review of programmatic achievement based on the monitoring framework and available indicators
- Ensure that a clear and solid M&E framework is in place at mission level, with regular surveys and a robust complaint & response mechanism
- Contribute to the organization of external evaluation when requested
- Contribute to the preparation of the monthly MdM situation report
- Participate in the writing of donor’s activity report and proposals
Meetings, coordination and representation
- Organise coordination meeting with the program team and ensure definition of clear action plans
- Participate actively in MdM coordination meetings and other ad hoc meeting decided by the general coordinator
- Make sure that MdM program team participate in the relevant humanitarian coordination meetings (OCHA, clusters, pharma…)
- Lead poactively on external coordination with other health actors, (INGOs and UN agencies) at the relevant level, actively build relations and establish information sharing channels to ensure MdM is well placed within the health response in Borno
- Develop constructive collaboration with authorities, such as Ministry of Health and the State Emergency Management Agency and ensure good information sharing
- Support the general coordinator in case of donor field visits or meetings
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Medical or public health profile, confident with program coordination
- At least 3 years of experience with a similar position
- Experience with an international NGO working in emergency contexts, managing programmes, preferably within the health sector
- Previous experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing
- Experience/knowledge of the region
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (logical framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.)
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and expatriate staff)
- Proven ability to problem solve and lead teams through very challenging obstacles
- Good writing and communication skills
- Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team
- Ability to manage a multi-national team and work in an international team
- Ability to have a global overview of a program (not only on medical plan)
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- Ability to manage priorities effectively
- Ability to pro-actively build relations with other stakeholders
- Strong commitment to gender equality in health service delivery
- Interest for human rights and international humanitarian law
- Capacity to work and to live in tense conditions (climate, cultural context, promiscuity, isolation)
- English fluent (oral and written), French and Hausa is an asset
- You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.