Purpose of the position:
Director of Finance – Provide overall leadership, oversight and management support for all aspects of financial management in the National Office. This position is seen as a strategic partner, member of the Senior Management/Leadership Team of the NO, with a focus on ensuring accountability, stewardship, coordinating planning and budgeting processes, providing accurate financial data analysis and advices, as well as developing financial strategy that best serves the NO strategic and program objectives. Responsible for the finance staff capacity strengthening, the development and implementation of good internal controls, risk management, and utilization and safe guarding of assets according to WV approved policies and procedures.
Leadership, Capacity Development and Strategic Partnering (30% of time)
- Provide strong and positive leadership to the finance department ensuring competent and motivated staff are hired and retained, providing efficient delivery of services.
- Coordinate professional and personal development of finance staff through adequate orientation, on-the-job coaching, identification of learning, training needs and opportunities (e.g. in accounting, SunSystems, grant management, risk management, leadership, etc.); and succession planning.
- Model Christ-centered servant leadership and support spiritual development of his/her team.
- Actively participate in the NO Senior Management/ Leadership team meetings.
- Attend and actively participate in strategic regional meetings.
- Facilitate ND, Operations, Board and other non-finance staff in understanding and interpretation of financial statements.
- Ensure partnership finance policies and procedures are understood by Senior Management, Operations/Technical staff,
Stewardship and accountability (10% of time )
- Ensure adequate cost efficiency and effectiveness measures are in place and are being followed through:
- Providing cost analysis, promoting benchmarks and making recommendations for determining effective resource utilization at all levels.
- Contributing to the development of appropriate policies and procedures for procurement of goods and services, in collaboration with the Supply Chain team.
Financial Planning and Budgeting (15% of time)
- In collaboration with other NO Directors, advise the ND on strategic resource acquisition and allocation in line with RWG/VIR (Regional Working Group /Virtual Investment Review) recommendations approved by the Regional Leader.
- Coordinate the planning and budgeting process and provide technical support, to ensure global and regional guidelines are met.
- Review alignment of budgets between National Office, projects, grants, MyPBAS and Support Offices.
- Control of NO budget, cash flow and project funding, by providing timely and relevant information to budget managers, in collaboration with the Operations Leader.
- Contribute to the development of WV NO strategic direction and priorities.
Fiscal accounting, Compliance, Monitoring and Reporting (15% of time )
- Design and manage systems, policies and procedures that provide appropriate levels of security and control of WV assets, resources and operations.
- Coordinate the submission of timely, accurate and complete relevant reporting to the Partnership and to internal users.
- Define and implement efficient and effective internal control systems.
- Adhere to partnership policies, procedures and guidelines as stipulated in the WVI Financial Manual and other documents, including – but not limited to: grant compliance, planning & budgeting, year-end closing, carryforward, accounting and reporting.
- Coordinate the timely and accurate submission of financial reports in Notes FFR (Field Financial Reporting) database.
- Review the reconciliation of MyPBAS to FFR monthly with action plan for addressing outstanding items.
- Provide regular analysis of ADP/Grant financial reports and timely feedback to ADP/Grant managers for decision making
- Ensure NO Finance staff visit Programs/Projects to monitor accountability issues, follow up on implementation of audit findings and provide support as needed.
Financial Risk Management and Controls (10% of time )
- Manage appropriate financial systems and controls and ensure they are in place to avoid significant finance audit risk ratings, both at the NO and project levels.
- Coordinate management responses to finance audits performed to the NO and projects; ensure they are sent on time to the Audit Department; and that finance related audit recommendations are implemented timely at all levels.
- Coordinate adequate preparation for Global Centre and external audits.
- Manage World Vision Malawi Financial Risks.
- Implement World Vison Malawi National Office anti-corruption and fraud strategies.
Business Systems and Technology (15% of Time )
- Actively participate in management groups e.g SLT, Extended Leadership Forum for maximum finance engagement and impact.
- Member of the Internal Audit Committee and the Risk and compliance oversight committee as well as OSHA.
- Ensure implementation of IT strategy in Malawi
- Oversee development of IT policies and implementation of IT systems.
- Safeguard IT assets, review acquisition and disposal of assets.
- Guide implementation of cyber security policies.
- Ensure capacity building of IT teams.
- Manage IT cost effectiveness initiatives and cost sharing.
- Ensure adequate IT budget are provided.
- Monitors World Vision Malawi IT risks
People Management and Capacity Building (5% of time)
- Lead, direct, mentor and coach a team of finance staff to meet WV organizational objectives. Provide strategic leadership to Finance and Accounting areas of the organization supervising Associate Director of Finance and Grants Management Managers.
- Recruit, retain, supervise, train and develop all the staff in the department assigning jobs relevant to accounts payable, accounts receivable etc.
- Maintain up-to-date job descriptions for the Finance Accounts team and ensure Performance Evaluations and work plans are in place.
- Share and replicate finance management best practices with the project teams in order to ensure improvement in financial management
Knowledge, qualification and experience required
- ACCA, CPA or CIMA or equivalent professional qualification required.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, Management or another relevant field
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a similar leadership position, preferably with an International NGO. At least ten (15) years’ progressive experience in non-profit Accounting and/or grant management, preferably with an International Organization, with at least 10 years’ experience at the management level.
- Must be a, self-motivated, problem solving individual with high levels of initiative
- Good understanding of GAAPS is required
- Thorough knowledge of best practices in capacity strengthening with prior experience of integrating this with programming; experience in curriculum design and development.
- Excellent experience in Financial Management and Accounting.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through participatory adult learning, mentoring, distance education, and other formal and non-formal methods; experience in the design of and delivery of training workshops
- Must demonstrate a good understanding of contemporary management best practices
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, demonstrating diplomacy and tact
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail