The Finance and Operations Director will be responsible for the financial and administrative aspects of the project, including budget development and monitoring, prime award monitoring and compliance, sub-award management, procurement, and logistics. The Finance and Operations Director will establish and maintain sound financial management practices and ensure the project’s compliance with FHI 360 and USAID procedures, rules and regulations. The position will be based in Maputo, Mozambique and will report to the Chief of Party and the selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
- Provide leadership to finance and operations aspects of the project, including general administrative processes, financial management, sub-award management, accounting, and logistics
- Establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures for financial, sub-award and operations aspects of the project. This includes maintaining and updating a system and SOPs for staff that supports sub-awards.
- Ensure compliance of financial and operations systems with FHI 360 policies and procedures, USAID rules and regulation, award requirements, and Government of Mozambique laws
- Develop, analyze and monitor program budgets; monitor and track obligations and expenditures against budgets
- Maintain accurate financial pipeline reports and other monthly financial reports for internal analysis and tracking purposes to be reviewed with the Project Director and other relevant FHI 360 staff members
- Provide technical assistance, as needed, to local partners on financial compliance and reporting
- Act as liaison and provide guidance to Consortium Partners on budgets and financial reporting related matters.
- Prepare and submit annual and quarterly financial and accrual reports to USAID and FHI 360
- Contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by USAID
- Liaise with internal and external auditors in the review of project financial management
- Liaise with the FHI 360 Office of Compliance and Internal Audit to improve necessary documentation and or answers to questions arising from internal and external reviews or audits
- Ensure that all operational functions are effectively coordinated. Oversee human resources, finance and accounting, administrative and procurement, contracts and grants and IT functions for the project
- Support the Contracts Management Services department and Project Director to ensure proper interpretation of the award instruments when entering to financial obligations or any other contracting actions
- Other activities as assigned by the COP.
- Master's Degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field is required or Bachelor’s degree and equivalent experience
- CPA, ACCA, ACA, ICAN, CIMA, CFE or any other relevant professional certification/qualification is preferred
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant experience in financial management, including overseeing the finance and operations of equally large and complex projects
- Minimum of 5 years managing sub-grant finances
- 5+ years’ experience working in a developing country; Mozambique experience is strongly preferred
- Experience and good working knowledge of USAID and other US Government organizations’ rules and regulations is required
- Demonstrated experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll and accounting for an international NGO
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing operations functions for an INGO: administration, procurement, logistics, IT, HR, contracts and grants and other non-technical areas.
- Excellent analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge in generally-accepted accounting, budgeting, and fiscal control principles
- Relevant skills in automated accounting software systems and database spreadsheets
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word and MS PowerPoint, with expert knowledge of MS Excel
- Experience building capacity in the financial management of community-based organizations and implementing partners.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with NGO partners, community-based organizations and international donor agencies
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, including recognizes potential problems ahead of time and act to prevent or mitigate, proactively proposes solutions and then operationalizes those solutions once agreed upon, understands and provide what supervisees need to do their jobs effectively (standard operating procedures, training or TA, consequences, structural realignments, tools, etc.), collaborate with SMT to lead the project to success, willing to make difficult decisions when necessary.
- Depth and breadth of financial management expertise
- Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in Portuguese and English.
- Ability to work on problems of a complex scope that require in-depth evaluations of data and various factors
- Proven proactive skills in identifying cost savings, cost avoidance, and efficiency opportunities
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision
- Effective manager of staff to contribute to project objectives in a timely manner.
Typical Physical Demands: Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand-held devices.
Travel Requirements: 10%-25%