About the Organization:
International Solar Alliance (ISA) is an alliance of 121 countries initiated by India, the primary objective of the alliance is to work for efficient exploitation of solar energy to reduce dependence on fossil fuels. Vision and mission of the ISA is to provide a dedicated platform for cooperation among solar resource rich countries where the global community, including bilateral and multilateral organizations, corporates, industry, and other stakeholders, can make a positive contribution to assist and help achieve the common goals of increasing the use of solar energy in meeting energy needs of prospective ISA member countries in a safe, convenient, affordable, equitable and sustainable manner.
Position: Director General
The Director General supports the Assembly in advancing the ISA’s mandate and supports Member states to address common challenges and engage in coordinated action to scale up the deployment of solar energy. The Director General who is the Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Assembly for all the activities of the International Solar Alliance, as well as its administration.
The Director General under the authority of the Assembly will:
- Define broad strategies to promote and support policy advocacy activities and initiate and coordinate policy dialogue with Governments, local authorities, and other partners in the implementation of the International Solar Alliance mandate and objectives;
- Provide overall direction to partnerships development and engagement with a wide range of stakeholders and partners including international organizations, other United Nations bodies, national, subnational and local governments, the industries, the financial actor, financial actors, and other partners to ensure effective coordination of the global energy transition agenda and 2030 Agenda;
- Represent the ISA to promote the Alliance's vision, leadership, standing, and impact, with the overall guidance of its Members; and
- Provide leadership for innovative approaches and resource-mobilization activities to support the countries to accelerate the deployment of solar energy at a national scale.
- National of an ISA Member Country and endorsed by that Member for initial appointment, and if sought, renewal.
- At least 20 years of professional experience with at least 10 or more years of senior management at local, provincial, federal government and international levels.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent or higher) in a field relevant to the position would be preferred.
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential and fluency in other languages of the United Nations is an asset. Familiarity with Hindi language will be an added advantage.
- Excellent management and senior level administrative skills.
- Astute judgment and decision-making faculty.
- Ability to establish and maintain high-quality interpersonal relationships in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Skills and command for resource mobilization for the ISA and smooth coordination especially with the host country Government, member countries, and international peers and organizations.
- Proven record of administrative excellence and innovation in past service, including national or international awards, if any.
- A comprehensive understanding of energy policies and climate change, with a focus on solar energy is desirable.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills is highly desirable.