Director General: IRTI and Chief Economist
Islamic Development Bank, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Closing Date for Applications:
- The purpose of this role is to steer and oversee all organizational activities of the Islamic Research and Training Institute – IRTI and Chief Economist.
- Coordinate IsDB Group-wide formulation of research agenda in-line with member countries’ needs and challenges identified from MCPS with a view to craft targeted research and training agenda.
- Manage Research fellowship programs that enable crowdsourcing of research expertise from universities, research institutions, and Centres of excellence worldwide against approved integrated work program.
- Facilitate development, coordination, and production of economic and financial analysis that report on development challenges of member countries and IsDB Group interventions through the Annual Report.
- Upgrading IRTI’s capacity into a full consultancy and advisory services arm of IsDB Group.
- Act as a bank-wide bastion for cutting edge research and knowledge creation that will ultimately guide the sovereign and non-sovereign financing and non-financing operations of the bank.
- Responsible for basic and applied research in Islamic finance and economics with the mission to facilitate its practical application in IsDB Group operations.
- Lead role as the focal point in the IsDB Group for all research matters related to Islamic Economics and Finance including policy research, advisory, technical assistance, and product development.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders (such as Islamic Finance Infrastructure Institutions) to support and promote the development of the Islamic Finance Services Industry.
- Manage the Islamic Research and Training Institute as a Centre of excellence in Islamic Economics, banking, and social finance.
The role includes:
- Advisory: Advise on economic and policy issues in areas of strategic or operational relevance.
- Research and analytical work: Undertake peer-reviewed economic research and economic and political economy analysis.
- Strategy and operations review: Inform the Bank's strategic priorities.
- Macroeconomic forecast and risk assessment.
- Knowledge development.
- Outreach and Bank representation: Represent the IsDB Group at high-level policy and academic events.
- Publishing: Publish research and analytical work and provides support to key publications and annual reports.
Islamic Research and Training Institute:
- Knowledge solutions: Guide the Institute in developing knowledge solutions for development.
- Knowledge creation: Guide the Institute in breaking new grounds in Islamic finance for development.
- Relevance and influence: Seek reaching and engaging new publics and creating new partnerships.
- Collaboration and synergy: Seek promoting collaboration and creating synergy across the Institute.
- Efficiency and sustainability: Decide on the operating and financing model to support effective implementation of the Institute’s mandate.
Academic and professional experience:
- Master's Degree in economics, banking, finance, or any other related discipline.
- Minimum 13 years of prior relevant experience, preferably in the international/ multilateral development sector, handling multidiscipline functions.
- Minimum 10 years of managerial experience.
- Fluent in oral and written English language
- Fluent in oral and written Arabic language (Preferred)
- Fluent in oral and written French language (Preferred)
Job will be based in IsDB’s headquarters in Jeddah, KSA