BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT
ALLIANCE FOR AN ENERGY EFFICIENT ECONOMY (AEEE)
Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE) is a non-profit policy advocacy and energy efficiency market enabler. It advocates for evidence-based energy efficiency policies and research working across industry, government and civil society to foster a culture of energy efficiency in India. Through its collaborations with industry and government it transforms the market for energy-efficient products and services, thereby contributing towards meeting India’s goals on energy security, clean energy and climate change. AEEE collaborates with diverse stakeholders such as policymakers, government officials, business and industry, consumers, researchers, and civil society organizations.
AEEE was incorporated, courtesy the vision and financial support provided by four proactive energy efficiency equipment and services companies, Conzerv Systems Pvt Ltd (CSPL – since acquired by Schneider-Electric India in 2009), Schneider-Electric India Pvt. Ltd., Thermax Limited and Grundfos Pumps India Pvt Ltd. SKF India Limited, joined in 2010 . USAID/ECO-III project partners, International Resources Group and Alliance to Save Energy provided strategic guidance and support to develop and implement AEEE’s Vision and Mission, and to launch the initial set of activities and programmes. AEEE’s formation and its set of activities were supported by a number of energy efficiency equipment manufacturers and services providers with a focus on business enablement. Over the years, major foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies have helped AEEE to undertake projects and grow the organization to do more effective energy efficiency policy advocacy and business enablement through knowledge products and creation of more effective and credible platform.
- Be a Leading Force for Responsible Use of Energy to Transition to a Climate Resilient and Energy Secure Future
- Establish AEEE as a credible EE platform fostering a culture of energy efficiency in India
- Establish AEEE as an enabler of Energy Transition by working across industry, government and research/civil society organizations
- Accelerate impact as a policy enabler through thought leadership and research to
- R -RESPECT
- I – INTEGRITY
AEEE – FOCUS AREAS
Buildings and Communities:
The strategic focus areas that AEEE has worked out for intervening are:
- Fostering R&D for sustainable buildings.
- Building energy codes and labels.
- Standards & Labelling of appliances.
- Sustainable cooling & refrigeration.
- Demand Response and grid interactive buildings.
- Sustainable cold-chain
Power Utility and Electric Mobility:
Within this segment the strategic intervention areas for AEEE are:
- EV Charging Infrastructure
- Vehicle-Grid integration.
- EE/ DR as an energy resource.
- Consumer awareness about energy efficiency.
- Policy & regulatory reforms
Industrial Energy Efficiency:
The intervening areas for AEEE here are:
- De-carbonization strategies for hard to abate industrial sectors.
- Energy Efficiency in SMEs.
State and Local Actions:
The strategic focus areas for intervention under this for AEEE are:
- State Energy Efficiency Index.
- Energy Data Analytics and Management.
- State Energy Efficiency Action Plans.
Industry Platform and Business Creation:
AEEE is a convening platform bringing key energy stakeholders - industry, government, civil society, and professionals together to engage in a constructive dialogue to influence effective and impactful policies and build a robust ecosystem for effective implementation. This includes innovation in business models and easy access to financing that will lead to market transformation for energy efficiency technologies. Their extensive networks with different stakeholders help their members mobilize potential partnerships via workshops and conclaves. AEEE currently has 49 members from diverse sectors
- Create a credible energy efficient platform to advocate business-enabling policies and develop a collaborative ecosystem.
- Develop thought leadership by nurturing innovative technologies and business models.
- Work with public and private sectors to create and enable widely adopted business value propositions.
- ESCO Market Enablement.
- EE Financing and Investment
AEEE Initiatives in the Spotlight
- India Cooling Action Plan
- State Energy Efficiency Index
- Electric Mobility Initiative
- Solar Decathlon India
- Super-efficient Appliances
- Energise 2020
EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT TEAM
DR. SATISH KUMAR: PRESIDENT AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Dr. Satish Kumar is an international energy efficiency expert and serves as the President and Executive Director of the Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE). In his current role, he has led AEEE’s transformation into a leading energy efficiency policy think tank and business enabling entity through a combination of thought and programmatic leadership, collaboration and partnership with Indian and global public, private and peer organizations, and fund raising. He has served as a senior energy efficiency advisor or technical expert in energy efficiency to the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, NITI Aayog, Energy Efficiency Services Limited, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Bureau of Indian Standards and Department of Science and Technology (DST), Confederation of Energy Efficiency. Prior to AEEE, he was the Vice President and Energy Efficiency Ambassador and led the Energy Management business at the Schneider Electric India Pvt. Ltd., a scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and led a very successful, USAID-supported, bilateral energy efficiency technical assistance program between US-India Government. In his more than 25 years of professional career, he has held leadership positions in business, policy advisory, research and non-profit organisations in the USA, India and Europe and is recognized as a triple-sector leader. He has a Bachelor of Architecture from Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, a Ph.D. in Building Science from Carnegie Mellon University and was selected by Schneider Electric for its Business Leadership Executive Program at University of North Carolina Kenan-Flager Business School and received the LEED Fellow status from the US Green Building Council in 2014.
AEEE is looking for a self-motivated, positive and passionate individual with a problem- solving and growth mindset who will join their team to further enhance & empower their brand identity and recognition.
The Director – Marketing & Membership is expected to be a self-starter who would be responsible for interacting independently with very senior stakeholders including board member to take the marketing and membership mandate to the next level.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work to strategically position AEEE as a globally leading Climate Action centric organization leveraging its Industry membership and industry leading research.
- Develop and implement a strategy to expand and nurture Industry membership of AEEE with an objective to bring industry’s thinking, trends and needs to help sharpen AEEE’s research work. Towards this, work closely with our program leads to enhance and amplify the impact of AEEE’s research and analysis and generate leads where AEEE research team can offer its services by creating value through policy or syndicated research.
- Develop and implement fundraising strategy to generate revenues from philanthropic organizations within India and abroad, AEEE’s events, membership (recruitment and value-added services) and training activities to build AEEE corpus and support core staff and programs.
- Lead the marketing department by building a high-performance team, developing and implementing marketing strategy, an annual marketing plan, its budget, planning and coordinating marketing efforts, communicating the marketing plans to those involved, and building awareness and positioning for AEEE in close partnership with all vertical teams besides our key stakeholders - donors/funders, government, members, research/consulting/non-profit organizations/citizens.
- Develop and implement communication strategy and organizational communications for both internal and external stakeholders.
- • Ideating, curating and executing AEEE conferences and workshops, member meets, CXO round tables, Breakfast or Hi-Tea with ministers and senior Government officials and other major events ensuring excellent content, generating revenues to cover AEEE core expenses, positioning them for aspirational participation and organizing them efficiently and successfully
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION:
- Evaluating and developing AEEE’s marketing and communication strategy and execution plan; develop marketing collaterals listing AEEE unique value propositions, expertise and accomplishments as needed.
- Lead and coordinate marketing/communication strategy and campaigns; must have experience managing communication campaigns including PR and digital marketing on social media platforms to build brand awareness and positioning of AEEE; Ensure successful execution of digital social media (Twitter and LinkedIn) strategy including content development and themed campaigns in partnership with the research teams, and development of a framework to evaluate quantity and quality of engagement with targeted users.
- Organizing AEEE’s conferences, trade shows, and major events and actively
- fundraising through sponsorship, exhibition and other revenue generating initiatives.
- Support the research team in fundraising for the organization by mapping the core expertise of AEEE, while mapping interest areas for foundations, donors, government orgs (central and state) and bi- and multi-lateral organizations.
- In collaboration with the IT and database team, develop a membership customer
- journey strategy using the most appropriate tool; Be the internal champion for the CRM database, maintaining an overarching understanding of how the database is used throughout the organization and regularly interrogate and analyze the database to support the recruitment and retention activities of members, help direct our training programs to the right audience and improve overall communication campaign effectiveness.
- Evaluating and developing AEEE’s membership recruitment and serving plan; research and acquire opportunities to promote membership via partnerships or third- party affiliates. Act as the primary contact for members beyond the day-to-day administration of the scheme as carried out by the Membership Coordinator.
- Review the current membership offering including pricing and benefits based on feedback from potential and current members and fee/pricing structure at similar industry associations.
- Lead on the planning and delivery of members’ events and develop a regular
- calendar of activities for members through an AEEE annual calendar for members.
- Develop membership retention strategies and targets and manage the delivery of campaigns designed to retain existing members.
- Work with the Finance team, innovate on invoicing and payment processes to create a smooth and painless process to facilitate member recruitment and retention.
- Be accountable to the Executive Director for the Membership budget and spend, reporting and forecasting on a quarterly basis. Synthesize membership data into comprehensive reports that can be delivered at senior management and presented at Executive Council level.
- Ensure that the membership offering is clearly presented through the AEEE’s digital
- channels (Website, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.) onsite for visitors, and across the AEEE’s wider programmatic activities, events, etc. ensure that benefits delivery is carried out across all departments to improve membership satisfaction;
- Exercise quality control on all membership communications, advertising and literature to ensure they comply with AEEE marking and branding guidelines.
- Researching, evaluating and developing AEEE’s training and awareness creation
- strategy by planning and implementing a comprehensive training program for AEEE.
- Identify & assess training needs for energy efficiency professionals by interacting with internal and external stakeholders, member companies, training organizations and government agencies.
- Be accountable to the Executive Director for the Training and Awareness Creation budget and spend, reporting and forecasting on a quarterly basis.
- Prepare awareness creation and training calendar for pre-identified yearly activities, format and delivery medium for the selected training; Coordinate with AEEE internal research and analysis team and management for planning and designing the content of training courses and activities; Responsible for identifying and selecting content creator and training instructors to support the newly identified training programs.
- Observe and be up to speed with current training trends and technologies and apply them as needed in creating online courses, using multimedia authoring tools, etc.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- MBA or an advanced marketing degree with an undergraduate degree in engineering, architecture, public policy, social sciences or equivalent from a reputed university.
- 15+ years of experience, with at least the last 5 years being in a leadership role.
- Should be well versed with both offline and online marketing strategies across various media and outreach initiatives.
- The incumbent should have a strong track record of engaging with and establishing long term relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership through sustained expansion of responsibilities over time.
- Track record of developing and implementing strategy and building and leading high performance teams and delivering robust contribution to the realization of organization’s strategic goals.
- Preferred work experience – a blend of industry and membership led organizations or working in NGOs in a value-based marketing role.
- Solid understanding of demand side energy sector is highly desirable
- Well-established network and credibility in industry, government, philanthropy and climate change sector is highly desirable.
Communication, Networking and Representational Skills
- Excellent communication skills in english, both written and oral, along with good interpersonal, and negotiation abilities.
- Excellent external representational skills with the aptitude to articulate effectively with a wide variety of cross sectoral stakeholders in various fora.
- Must establish positive relationships with co-workers, peers and external stakeholders
- Have excellent influencing and convincing abilities
- Interested Candidates: Please send your latest curriculum vitae, three references and a covering letter explaining your interest, suitability and fitment with the subject DIRECTOR – MARKETING AND MEMBERSHIP position at AEEE to email@example.com.