Director, Research and Advisory Services Department
Islamic Development Bank(ISDB), Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Closing Date for Applications:
- To provide strategic direction, motivational leadership and operational oversight for the Research and Advisory Services Department. Determine the strategy for the Department, set and deliver department objectives that enable IRTI to achieve its goals, and take the significant operational decisions.
- To drive IDB Group’s strategic objective of building and promoting Islamic Economics and Finance policies and practices by developing and disseminating in-depth knowledge of the subject through research, analysis and study, fostering policy dialogue with member countries and other interested institutions and groups, and in assisting member countries in their capacity to develop and implement policies and practices within the country. Lead the development of basic, applied and policy research in Islamic Economics and Finance and facilitate the practical application of these studies to member and non-member countries through the provision of advisory services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & ACTIVITIES:
Strategy and policy development, and operational management
- Lead the formulation, development and implementation of the Research and Advisory Services Department strategy in support of IDBG’s goals and in response to emerging trends or client/customer needs.
- Drive the development of Islamic Financial Services Industry (IFSI) through research and advisory services.
- Develop, implement and monitor the Research and Advisory Services Department’s business plans, KPIs, budgets and objectives; provide regular management reports that include insight, analysis, forecasting and comment on Department performance and results.
- Identify opportunities and champion initiatives that enable the Research and Advisory Services Department to increase its impact or to deliver innovative and differentiated services, encouraging Department members to fully contribute.
- Ensure the Research and Advisory Services Department works effectively, proactively and with urgency across IDB Group and externally to ensure the delivery of joint services/results that meet IDB Group’s interests and for knowledge sharing.
Research, analysis and studies
- Initiate and oversee basic, applied and policy research to develop models and methods for the application of Shari’ah in economics, finance and banking.
- Commission institutional and economic research on Islamic Economics and Finance sis and studies issues, such as the risk characteristics of Islamic compared to conventional finance, monetary and financial stability in the presence of Islamic Economics and Finance and practical aspects of Zakat and Awqaf implementation and their role in IFSI development.
- Initiate and oversee studies on economic behaviour and decision making in Islamic Economics and Finance and on general emerging trends, common themes and issues in IFSI.
- Initiate and oversee surveys on economic cooperation among member countries.
- Oversee the production of IRTI’s Journal of Islamic Economics Studies (in Arabic, English and French)and the selection of publications.
Consulting and advisory
- Lead and coordinate the provision of expert consulting and advisory services, broad strategies, standards, best practices and technical guidance to member country governments and agencies on policy design and implementation related to Islamic Economics and Finance.
- Initiate and oversee the dissemination of reviews, insights and reports on the progress and state of IFSI in OIC countries and globally, and oversee organisation of global forums for the publication and review of related topics, e.g. financial stability, development and inclusiveness.
- Oversee the provision of capacity building services to create an enabling environment for the Islamic Economics and Finance services industry in collaboration with the Chief Economist and the Operations Complexes and the IFS Department.
- Encourage and enable policy dialogue with member countries in partnership with local, regional and global institutions engaged in IFSI.
- Responsible for maintaining a knowledgebase, an inventory of best practices and a comprehensive and up-to date view of IFSI.
- Oversee assistance to member countries in building Zakat and Awqaf institutions.
- Coordinate the production of flagship reports on IF report in cooperation with the IDB Group members.
Promoting IFSI Services
- Lead and facilitate effective department coordination and cooperation with other IDB Group departments and internal stakeholders to raise awareness on IFSI matters.
- Lead the development and support of external IFSI research institutions in member and non-member countries.
- Initiate organization of symposia, conferences and seminars to promote policy dialogue and to create Islamic Economics and Finance knowledge sharing opportunities.
- Represent IRTI in external events such as conferences and seminars related to IFSI.
- Initiate new ways for raising the profile, influence and impact of IRTI.
- Lead the commercialisation of IRTI services, and benchmark IRTI’s services against comparative services, including price, service levels and products.
- Continually scan the external environment to identify opportunities for IRTI to increase its role.
- Ensure the Department is the focal point of contact for Islamic Economics and Finance matters to member country representatives and other interested institutions and groups.
- Develop partnerships with academic, research institutions and standard setting bodies at local, regional and global levels to promote and accomplish IRTI’s goals.
- Establish strong synergies and networks within the IDB Group (especially Chief Economist, Operations and IFSI Department) and provide support and coordination with government and development partners in Member Counties in matters related to IFSI.
- Take a proactive role in Working Groups on Poverty Alleviation, Islamic Financial Sector Development, Capacity Building Information and Communication Technology for Development.
Governance and systems
- Develop and manage the development and implementation of standards, policies and processes for performance of the rituals, shipping, distribution, warehousing, and operation and maintenance of assets, equipment, veterinarian services, safety and security, and environment.
- Ensure that all the department services are provided effectively, aligned with best practices and guidelines, and utilized in an efficient and cost-effective manner to support the Project’s business needs.
- Define clear Project-wide roles, responsibilities and accountabilities, along with matching authorities, to provide a structure that would strengthen accountabilities at all levels of the Project.
- Provide motivational and inspirational leadership for the Research and Advisory Services Department, and communicate to Division Managers clear performance expectations.
- Manage the performance and resources of the Research and Advisory Services Department through delegation of responsibility, setting stretch objectives and providing regular feedback on results at a Department and Division level, promptly addressing areas of underperformance.
- Monitor and assess the skills and capabilities of the Research and Advisory Services Department, and determine the actions needed to increase the Department’s impact or to resolve capability gaps.
- Coach, mentor and develop the Division Managers and the top talent/high potentials in the Research and Advisory Services Department; succession plan for key roles.
- Act as a role-model to communicate to Department members IDB’s values and leadership competencies; provide direction and support in times of change.
Knowledge Sharing & Innovation
- Identify, recommend and implement sponsorship of local, sub-regional, and regional training workshops and seminars to increase the sharing of experience and knowledge among the concerned stakeholders.
- Raise awareness of IDB on a regional platform, forge new relationships with key regional players and present new, innovative solutions and opportunities.
- Develop publications, convene meetings, and undertake studies and benchmarking to promote awareness and harmonize activities with other MDBs on best practices in the area.
- Ensure appropriate follow up and undertake reporting on the effectiveness of projects in achieving their objectives and disseminate lessons learnt.
- Represent IDB in multilateral and regional events and forums, e.g., coordination and consulting meetings, policy discussions and dialogues, conferences, and communities of practices.
Analysis and Reporting
- Analyse and prepare regular monitoring reports on projects portfolio and operation and maintenance work, and suggest measure for improvement of Operations Area’s impact.
- Communicate intended results, results achieved, performance, and lessons learnt within the Project as well as to its Management, relevant governing bodies, partners and other key stakeholders.
- 17 years with Master
- 15 years with Doctorate
- Business Administration / Economics / Islamic Finance / any relevant discipline
- English - Required
- Arabic - Preferred
- French - Preferred