About the Organization:
International Solar Alliance (ISA) is an alliance of 121 countries initiated by India, the primary objective of the alliance is to work for efficient exploitation of solar energy to reduce dependence on fossil fuels. Vision and mission of the ISA is to provide a dedicated platform for cooperation among solar resource rich countries where the global community, including bilateral and multilateral organizations, corporates, industry, and other stakeholders, can make a positive contribution to assist and help achieve the common goals of increasing the use of solar energy in meeting energy needs of prospective ISA member countries in a safe, convenient, affordable, equitable and sustainable manner.
Position: Director, Technology and Innovation
The Director, Technology and Innovation will report directly to the Director-General and lead a team of four (4) professional and several administrative staff members. The Director with be responsible for providing expert advice, developing policies, and conceptualizing, planning, designing, use of global best practices and their implementation with adaption of Latest Technologies across the ISA member countries under Article 11(3)(4). S/He will work closely with Director of Programmes and Director of Resource Mobilization. The Director will be responsible for the following areas:
His/her main task will be the knowledge and content creation by:
- collecting information on technology and innovation and how it is being implemented
- setting up and coordinating ad-hoc expert groups to develop and release guidelines and recommended practices on most aspects of project implementation
- preparing master documents (templates) for the setting up of project proposals
- enabling the performance assessment of existing projects and programmes
Beyond these core activities, he or she will also be responsible for the following areas:
- Leading outreach with member countries (through National Focal Points and other officials) as well as with non-member countries, including through regular video- and/or tele- conferencing
- Lead in formulation of R&D policies, ISA certificates and compile demand aggregation.
- Will come up with innovative ideas to cut down cost of capital and technology
- Contribute to a portfolio of ISA Guidelines and Standards forsolar goods and services in an inclusive and participative manner.
- Establish a GlobalTask Force on R&D to address technological needs of Member Countries with respect to the allocated programmes.
- Provide advice, make presentations to, and respond to requests from Member States.
- Supervise and manage the staff of the Service. Provide training, guidance and manage the performance of the team.
- Advanced University degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in Economics, Engineering, Management including Energy Management, Solar/Renewable Energy Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related discipline.
- A minimum of 12 years of professional work experience for P4 level or 15 years for P5 level in energy related field in either public sector, national government, multilateral organizations, educational institutions/universities, private sector organizations, energy industries and SMEs; and with increasing responsibility in the design and development of policies and programmes; and analysis of data and production of reports, preferably related to the renewable energy and solar sector; track record of management and leadership experience in the UN System is an advantage.
- Experience in resource mobilization, project formulation and direct project implementation will be valued.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have between five and seven years of international experience.
- Prior supervisory and laboratory experience is desired.
Language and IT skills: The role demands substantial writing and verbal communications skills. As English is the official and working language of the Organization, excellent command of both written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of other languages (e.g. French, Spanish and Arabic) would be an advantage. Satisfactory skills in Outlook, MS Office products, and various ERP systems is highly desirable