Sierra Leone is endowed with substantial natural resources, including croplands, forests, rangelands, freshwater, wetlands, biodiversity, wildlife, fisheries and mineral resources. While these resources have continued to build the economy of the country, their unsustainable use over these years have resulted in environmental degradation (flooding, windstorm, landslides, erosion, wildfire, climate change risks etc). Human development is among the lowest in the world with the country ranking at 181 out of 189 (HDR 2019).
These occurrences have clearly signified the need for sustainable environmental management and associated utilization of these natural resources.
In an effort to support the government of Sierra Leone, UNDP is working closely with relevant ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs), INGOs, NGOs, CBOs and Private Sector institutions on strengthening environmental governance, climate change mitigation, adaptation and disaster risk management issues.
The UNDP Country Office will use the portfolio approach to implement interventions aimed at addressing environmental degradation issues, as highlighted earlier; and the main objective is to enhance effective natural resource management to build resilience of the country, to climate change impacts and disaster risks.
UNDP supports national authorities to develop capacities to manage disaster risks in such a way as to benefit the poor and integrate environmental and disaster management dimensions into poverty reduction strategies and national development frameworks. In Sierra Leone, UNDP works in partnership with the Disaster Management Department (DMD) in the Office of National Security (ONS) to enhance legal frameworks, develop Disaster Risk Management (DRM) strategies and action plans, increase capacity for centralized database management and train stakeholders to monitor, manage, and respond to disasters at the national and local levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Under the direct supervision of the Cluster Team Leader, Sustainability and Local Economic Development (SLED) and in close collaboration with the respective NRM Climate Change Mitigation, Adaptation and Disaster Resilience Portfolio manager, the Project Manager – Climate and Disaster Resilience will provide technical support to the following functions:
- Provide technical and administrative support to DMD for the implementation of the activities as set out in the project document and its corresponding annual work plans
- Assumes leadership in carrying out and coordinating the day to day activities of the project
- Support the enhancement of Disaster Risk Management governance in the country
- Support capacity building and knowledge management on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Build collaboration between key government and non-government actors on DRM-related issues
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building, knowledge sharing, and technical guidance to stakeholders on DRM related issues
- Provide technical and administrative support to DMD for the implementation of the activities as set out in the project document and related annual work plans
- Strengthen disaster risk reduction, mitigation preparedness and response capacity of both National and local stakeholders and to ensure community preparedness for disaster risk management
- Develop and activate preparedness plans at community level and help to identify preparedness gaps, challenges and corresponding mitigating actions;
- Support the enhancement of Disaster Risk Management governance in the country
- Lead the process of initiating the establishment of the ward/chiefdom disaster management committees
- Develop hazard-specific early warning information system with thresholds and Disseminate early warning information to communities/wards in disaster prone areas;
Support capacity and knowledge on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Develop DRRM training modules and facilitate trainings in its implementation in selected sectors
- Facilitate the integration of DRRM guidelines into the National school curriculum
- Conduct validation of the school DRRM teaching handbook with the curriculum unit of the Ministry of Education
- Engage/Lobby with the Ministry of Basic and Senior Education and school Authorities for the incorporation of DRRM guidelines into the regular school curriculum
Build collaboration between key government and non-governmental actors on DRM – related issues
- Provide policy advice to strengthen synergies and partnerships with other actors, such as the government, the private sector, and international organizations to foster greater positive impacts of UNDP interventions;
- Support and coordinate to Produce information materials on the progress of the roll-out of national disaster risk management strategies;
- Conduct and assist in fostering strategic partnerships and coordination amongst key players in environment, disaster and development including donor, development partners, NGOs, and state agencies.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building, knowledge sharing, and technical guidance to stakeholders on DRM related issues
- Document and facilitate lessons learnt papers and provide assistance to produce information materials on disaster risk management in Sierra Leone and that would be suitable for international dissemination
- Facilitate/assist to Search and retrieve information from other countries that would be relevant to the policy roll-out in Sierra Leone and disseminate that information to relevant government and non-governmental actors.
- Coordinate and support to compile information and analyses relevant data for the development and implementation of new project components, including the preparation of training tools and materials.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow: Takes responsibility for and ensures high quality of own work
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Understands personal and team roles, responsibilities and objectives
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Understands, explains and shares information on assigned tasks with accuracy and clarity
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and timelines for team deliverables
- Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Integrate & Empower: Leads integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy in professional area of expertise
- Execute & Learn: Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
- Navigate & Guide: Charts a course for a systems approach to continuous learning, adaptation, and excellence, creating institutional imperatives to realize progress within across the relevant profession
- Role Model & Resolve: Creates an environment to facilitate full institutional potential and governs UNDP’s strategic and political investments in line with organizational values and principles
- Replicate Reliably: Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of High School Education or a Bachelor’s degree in Community Development Studies or a relevant discipline with 5 years of progressively relevant work experience.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in social development, community development, Disaster Risk Management and Climate Change. Past experience working with UNDP/UN is an asset or a Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in the area of Disaster Management will highly be preferred;
- Excellent analytical aptitude, communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Well published, competent and knowledgeable on development issues, especially Disaster Management;
- Prior experience of project management or leading project activities
- Experience in community mobilization and engagement and social cohesion, addressing issues of community development and early recovery.
- Experience in post conflict environment is a strong advantage. Knowledge of socio-economic, culture, and community development issues in disaster prone communities in Sierra Leone is an asset.
- Proven experience in result-based reporting, public relations/communication and awareness raising. Prior experience in monitoring and evaluation is an asset.
- Proficiency in usage of computers, office software packages and advance project management software as well as handling of web-based management system.