UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
- UNDP Bhutan supports governance and development priorities in in partnership with the Royal Governments of Bhutan, the United Nations system, the development partners and other partners to help the country to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock. In addition, UNDP now has the mandate to support SDG Integration to ensure faster progress on sustainable development.
- In Bhutan, UNDP has recently established itself as a partner of choice in supporting the Royal Government of Bhutan in economic transformation and SDG finance. These are strategic areas of work that will be further strengthened by the Economist. This will include, especially, supporting UNDP’s portfolio on fiscal policy, innovative finance, and inclusive economic strategies. The economist will also play a critical role in UNDP’s support to Bhutan’s socio-economic recovery from the COVID-19 crisis and implementation support of the 21st Economic Transformation Roadmap. The Economist will also support integration of economic analysis into all areas of UNDP Bhutan’s portfolio.
- The Economist works under the guidance of the Resident Representative and s/he will work closely with the programme and operations teams in the country office, the accelerator lab, the economist in the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) and staff in the Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH) and New York in Regional Bureau of Asia and the Pacific (RBAP) as well as the Global Policy Network (GPN) of UNDP. S/he will also collaborate with the Asia-Pacific regional network of country economists. This will include systematic engagement with and oversight from the lead regional economic advisors based in Bangkok and New York. S/he is also expected to develop and maintain a network of colleagues across development partner agencies, government institutions, the private sector, and civil society at the country level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of key functions:
Advise the UNDP country office management and programme team to strengthen programme development and implementation.
Provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies.
Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate, when directed by the Resident Representative.
Contribute to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas.
Advice the UNDP country office management and programme team to strengthen programme development and implementation:
- Advise UNDP country office management with preparation and implementation of country programmes and strategies, including the development of country programme document and related analysis;
- Support UNDP country office teams to develop and manage relevant thematic portfolios, such as activities to support inclusive growth and progress towards the SDGs;
- Support the preparation of policy briefs, background notes, speeches, talking points, presentation materials, etc. on critical development issues within the SDG framework for senior management at the country and regional levels;
- Lead the development of National Human Development Report (HDR) and other related analyses to ensure added value in terms of development economic analysis, updated data and information for policy formulation;
- Compile and analyze statistical data as required in support of country strategies and activities;
- Collaborate across UNDP teams, especially to ensure linkages to the work emerging from the network of economists and accelerator labs;
- Support the creation of large-scale development solutions to help address complex development challenges, in close collaboration with the country offices programmes and projects;
- Lead the expansion of country office service offers on financing for development, including innovative financing models and country specific/sector specific studies.
Provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies:
- Advise and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector;
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels, including on COVID19 socio-economic recovery.
- Support the identification and analysis of interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time;
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks, including to help strengthen national and local level data collection and statistical capacity;
- Support to leverage UNDP’s regional and global programmes, to provide holistic and effective support to the country;
- Support the implementation of the SDG Fund for financing joint-proposal together with the UN Resident Coordinator Office (RCO) Economist and other UN agencies;
- Leverage support and expertise from the UNDP’s global/regional Economist networks to assist in strengthening UNDP’s support on economic analysis and policy development to Government and the UN Country Team.
- Lead UNDP’s implementation support to Bhutan’s 21st Century Economic Development Roadmap, in collaboration with the UN RCO Economist.
Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate:
- Contribute, in close collaboration with senior management, to the development and/or strengthening of partnerships with UN agencies, IFIs, bilateral development agencies, private sector entities, and civil society;
- When delegated, represent UNDP country office in relevant forums, conferences or workshops, including to present research or programmatic results;
- Assist the Resident Representative in resource mobilization and future growth strategies and contribute to the design of large-scale programme and development solutions;
- Contribute to national, regional, and global knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Contribution to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas:
- Participate actively in the UNDP Asia-Pacific regional network of economists, through attending regional meetings (in-person and/or virtual), sharing relevant experiences, and conducting peer reviews;
- Collaborate and contribute to regional publications, practice notes, and Regional Human Development Reports;
- Substantively contribute as possible to UNDP regional knowledge products and development of programming offers in regional priority areas (e.g., inequality, future of work, innovative financing);
- Enhance UNDP’s understanding and design of new approaches to sustainable development across the region by acting as a regional thematic lead where possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in Economics or related fields is required.
- Ph.D. in Economics will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years, experience at the national or international level in relevant areas of economic research and policy and implementation support.
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis;
- Proven policy, advisory and advocacy experience;
- Experience in preparing high quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policy makers;
- Experience of strategic visioning with strong technical and highly developed analytical capabilities;
- Knowledge of the SDGs and their application at the national level, politically astute with demonstrated experience in stakeholder analysis and engagement;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data; and
- Previous work experience in Asia and the Pacific region would be an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential;
- Fluency in the official language of the duty station is a requirement.