Education Cultural Mediator
Danish Refugee Council , Thessaloniki, Greece
Closing Date for Applications:
The Danish Refugee Council initiated its activities in the island of Lesvos in November 2015 due to the unprecedented influx of asylum seekers. Following new political developments and displacement dynamics in early 2016, DRC expanded its activities to the mainland to support the people living in several sites across the country. With offices in Athens, Larissa and Thessaloniki, it currently implements a wide range of activities, including Site Management Support, legal assistance, identification of individual needs and protection of highly vulnerable persons, access to services within and outside the hosting sites through cultural mediation, and non-formal education. DRC works closely with the refugee communities, the Greek authorities and other humanitarian actors to ensure a protective environment for refugees and asylum seekers in Greece.
- DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic individual to work in the non-formal education programme North Greece as a Cultural Mediator. Under the overall supervision of the Education Team Leader and in close cooperation with the Education officer and the teachers, the Education Cultural Mediator, will provide support to the implementation of non-formal education activities for migrant and refugee children, youth and adults living in emergency reception sites in Greece. The Education Cultural Mediator will support teachers in implementing educational and outreach activities that are high quality, age appropriate, and in line with the needs of children and youth stude
Duties & Responsibilities:
Implementation and design of non-formal education activities:
- Support in the implementation of non-formal education activities for school-aged children (6 to 15) and youth (16-18) as per the populations’ needs
- Plan and implement mother language activities for school-aged children
- Collaborate with teachers to create a safe classroom environment and promote holistic student well-being
- Support in designing culturally appropriate educational activities based on age, educational level, and the individual needs of students
- Promote empathy, compassion and respect for the gender, ethnic, religious, cultural, and learning diversity of students
- Provide information to beneficiaries on existing education opportunities and promote the right to education for all
- Contribute to outreach activities and student registration, and support the distribution of teaching and learning material (e.g. stationery, homework packs and school kits)
- Provide translation/interpretation for NFE activities including parents’ meetings
- Contribute to the identification of student vulnerabilities and raise protection referrals to the Protection Team, Team Leader or Child Protection actor as needed
- Adhere to DRC’s Code of Conduct and help to create and maintain an environment that prevents child safeguarding violations and promotes the
- implementation of DRC’s child Safeguarding Policy
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Education Team Leader relevant to the achievement of NFE objectives.
- Suggest improvements to DRC programming and ways of working, through identification and communication of challenges, gaps, recommendations for improvements and lessons learnt
- In collaboration with the Education Team, Education Team Leader and Education Coordinator, contribute to the development and design of DRC’s education program and activities.
- In day-to-day tasks ensure relevant accountability to internal DRC and Donor policies
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Education Team Leader and/or Area Manager relevant to the achievement of NFE objectives.
- Any other tasks assigned by the line manager in line with overall response in the area of deploymentnts.
- Minimum 1y of professional experience in a related position.
- Arabic: Excellent verbal and good written knowledge
- English: good verbal skills
- Good computer literacy
- Kurmanji, and/or Sorani: Excellent verbal and good written knowledge
- English: good written skills
- French: good verbal skills and good written skills
- Greek: good verbal and written skills
- Training or courses in child protection/safeguarding will be considered an asset.
- Prior professional experience working with children will be considered an asset.
- Previous experience with local or international NGOs will be considered an asset.
Required Skills and Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
Terms & Conditions
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Thessaloniki (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.