The Emergency Telecommunications Cluster (ETC) is a global network of organizations that work together to provide shared communications services in humanitarian emergencies. Under the global leadership of WFP, the ETC is one of the 11 clusters designated by the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC).
The ETC works with governments, national business and local communities to better prepare and respond to disasters, as well as build communications resilience, moving from managing disaster to managing risk.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The Information Technology Emergency Preparedness and Response Branch (TECF) within WFP is responsible for coordinating and managing the IT response to emergencies. WFP is also the global lead agency of the Emergency Telecommunications Cluster (ETC) which is a global network of organizations that work together to provide shared technology services in humanitarian settings. The ETC strategy seeks to ensure that all those responding to humanitarian emergencies have access to vital information and communication technology (ICT) services.
A core strength of the ETC is its ability to respond to disasters (natural and man-made). An area of increasing focus for the ETC is in preparedness. The preparedness agenda recognizes that by strengthening preparedness and resilience of stakeholders (e.g., government, the private sector, humanitarian agencies, communities) through a focus on people, processes and technology we ensure a more effective response.
The Global ETC Preparedness and Resilience Consultant will be part of the Global ETC team based at WFP Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Global ETC Preparedness and Resilience Consultant will work under the supervision of the of the Global ETC Coordinator.
- Lead the implementation of ETC preparedness and resilience projects and activities at global and field levels by overseeing their implementation, including budget, assessment, monitoring and reporting.
- Serve as the central focal point providing leadership, guidance and support on ETC preparedness and resilience to the Global ETC unit, WFP stakeholders (HQ, Regional, Country level), and ETC partners.
- Engage with WFP and partners to keep abreast of preparedness and resilience initiatives and coordinate efforts and activities accordingly including chairing the Global ETC Preparedness Working Group.
- Identify IT emergency preparedness and resilience gaps and opportunities at field and global levels, working with global ETC partners and WFP stakeholders.
- Develop, enhance and maintain relationships with the ETC partners that allows for collaboration on common projects. Maintain regular contact and direct engagement with partners.
- Deploy to countries for ETC preparedness and resilience missions.
- Embed preparedness and resilience capacity into the ETC. This includes guidance to stakeholders and the production of relevant tools, templates and processes.
- Conduct and/or support training, workshop and simulation exercise design and delivery, as a subject matter expert in the area of ETC preparedness.
- Provide technical expertise for development and rollout of ‘Preparedness Service Delivery Model’.
- Lead IT emergency preparedness and resilience advocacy efforts for the ETC.
- Attend ETC related event(s) including partner events and represent the Global ETC team as required.
- Support the implementation of other ETC strategy activities, as required.
- Support the Global ETC unit with partner management, emergency coordination and guidance development accordingly.
- Perform other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Telecommunications, Engineering, Information Systems, Business and/or Project Management or any related discipline.
- At least 6 years of IT professional experience, including three or more years in the humanitarian ICT field. Experience of managing IT projects. Experience working with/for NGOs in an ICT environment desirable.
Technical Experience, Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to plan and organize work programme and to work with minimum supervision under own initiative.
- Tact and ability to work harmoniously with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills; ability to conceptualize issues, think in abstract terms and analyse numerical concise and analytical reports under time constraints.
- Ability to organize and assess data.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify, research, analyse and synthesize complex development issues.
- Ability to write relevant documentation and coordinate the work of others.