United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic, Bria, Central African Republic
Closing Date for Applications:
This position is located in the Engineering Section of the United Nations Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA). The incumbent will be based in Bria and reports to Chief of the Engineering Section.
Within delegated authority, the Engineer will apply professional engineering knowledge and expertise in performance of the following duties and responsibilities:
- Applies commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the design, construction, or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, helipads, docks, waste disposal systems, flood control systems, water treatment facilities, electrical power generation and distribution systems, environmental control systems, field defense, mine detection and clearance, and other related structures and activities in the field;
- Prepare reports and other associated engineering related information for progress reporting, and special reports for quality, cost or schedule variances, etc;
- Draft responses to both internal and external audit observations on engineering tasks and activities in the mission;
- Preparation of construction documents - plans, designs, technical and tender documents.
- Contribute to the development of annual engineering budgets and associated work schedules, based on engineering resource planning, taking into account all required engineering material needs and selected enabling capacities (e.g. military engineering units, commercial contractors, mission support teams, or mission engineering staffing) for the most effective and efficient execution of the engineering work-plans,
- Monitor actual costs and schedule performance against the approved budget and baseline schedules;
- Conducts preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics,
- drainage and other data required for building site selection.
- Review and comments on the drawings and specifications from the consultants/contractors at various stages to ensure compliance with the project objectives;
- Develops technical data regarding materials, sizes, dimensions, and quantities and costs to be incorporated in formal specifications;
- Liaises with other engineers and mission specialists responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems by exchanging and comparing data;
- Provide expert technical advice on technical documents and overall policies, procedures and guidelines pertinent to the mission's engineering activities by taking into account quality management and risk management best practices;
- Where applicable, fully support with limited staffing during the mission start-up and liquidation phases, the site selection/assessment process and asset disposal process respectively;
- Performs duties related to asset and material management including daily notifications in UMOJA for issuance of inventory in close coordination with the Central/Integrated Warehouses;
- Supervises commercial contractor(s) in implementation of facility maintenance works in wide range, inspects and verifies routine and scheduled maintenances in the camps;
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or Architecture is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years with a masters degree and seven (7) years with a Bachelor degree of progressively responsible experience in engineering projects management is required.
- Knowledge of methodologies for project planning, execution and evaluation of engineering compliance standards and proven ability in analytical work is required.
- Experience using computer-aided design software is required.
- Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programs) - or similar international organization or non-governmental organization- in a conflict or post conflict setting is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.