Environment (and Natural Resources) Specialist
Asian Development Bank(ADB), Manila, Philippines
Closing Date for Applications:
- Lead and coordinate safeguard policy compliance for environment and provide assessment during project implementation. Lead, monitor and report on environment policy compliance. Lead project formulation and implementation to ensure that ADB environment policy requirements are met. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
- Guidance and Advisory Function • Lead and provide day-to-day guidance and advice on environment safeguard compliance issues for the department, and resolution of environment safeguard compliance issues in planning documents, in consultation with the Regional and Sustainable Development Department (RSDD). • Lead in identifying and resolving environmental issues, particularly compliance risks for complex/sensitive projects, in undertaking activities such as reviewing TA papers, participating in selected due diligence missions, etc., and categorizing projects/programs. • Lead in advising clients on the improvement of environment policy compliance documentation. • Lead Project Team Leaders in complying with environment policies and practices in project implementation. • Lead and coordinate closely with other safeguard specialist (i.e., involuntary resettlement, indigenous peoples) within the department and across ADB in ensuring relevant safeguard compliance documentation.
- Safeguard Policy Compliance Monitoring • Lead and monitor environment safeguard policy compliance of projects during implementation and review implementation issues, undertaking activities such as conducting review missions, etc. • Lead in identifying, monitoring and reporting on highly sensitive projects in the context of environment safeguard policy, coordinating where necessary with other safeguard specialists involved in those projects. • Lead in responding to documentation/reporting requirements of Office of the Special Project Facilitator (OSPF) and inspection panels.
- Policy Review • Participate in ADB-wide environment policy-related activities and initiatives. • Contribute substantially to environment safeguard Operations Manual (OM) revisions/improvements.
- Knowledge Generation and Dissemination • Keep abreast of global developments on the environment, and environment-related issues, policies, guidelines and processes at other multilateral institutions. • Conduct environment safeguard training programs for professional staff in coordination with RSDD.
- Staff Supervision • Take the role of mission leader and supervise the work of mission members. • Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance. • Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Natural Resource Management, or related Biological or Environmental Management, or other related fields. University degree with specialized experience on environmental engineering, environment sciences, environmental economics/management, environment and natural resources in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level • At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in environmental management • Familiarity with ADB environment policy, and environment safeguard compliance requirements • Sound knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks for environmental assessment and management in DMCs • Participation as an environment specialist in project processing and administration mission would be an advantage • Excellent oral and written communication skills in English • International experience working in development in several countries