UNDP, Tripoli, Libya
Closing Date for Applications:
- Through the Stabilization to Recovery Transition (START) project UNDP aims to enhance stabilization, resilience, and peace in/for the Libyan society by providing livelihood opportunities through a holistic, comprehensive approach provided by the Triple Nexus (HDP). The project targets for youth and women in particular, including vulnerable host communities and internally displaced persons (IDPs), as well as returnees, refugees, and migrants living among host communities. This approach will link development with major challenges in the country to prevent a return to conditions that foster violence and extremism. UNDP aims to support skills development and employment of youth and women through apprenticeship and vocational training programmes and the development of job placement schemes to build more resilient communities in Libya.
- UNDP Libya holds an Innovation Challenge project called Re-Start-up Marathon in October 2020. Based on the presented business ideas, UNDP selected around 35 business plans in Tripoli, Benghazi, and Tawergha. The overall objective of this project is to support entrepreneurs to re-establish businesses, increase employment, and promote social peace, stability, and sustainable economic recovery in Libya. The project provides innovation challenge grants to the winners of the Re-Start-Up event to rebuild their businesses, which were destroyed or affected by the conflict. In August, the project plans to do In September 2021, the project plans to have a conference in Tripoli to present the outcome of the projects and present all Start-ups’ businesses.
- For this purpose, UNDP Libya is seeking an Event Manager for the Re-Start Up project to support START- ups conference in Tripoli.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant is expected to provide services as follows:
- The support planning stage of the conference with the project team;
- Support logistics of the conference through coordination with UNDP project team, event company, and counterparts;
- Coordinate with the START-ups in Tripoli, Benghazi, and Tawergha and support and monitor their preparation for the conference. The Start-ups are expected to make presentations to introduce their newly re-established businesses. So, the Event Manager shall oversight their preparation, including logistic check if the Start-ups need to take their business materials;
- Collect feedback from the participants in the event;
- Coordinate with the business development coaches to collect success stories of the Start-ups;
- Coordinate with the communication unit to ensure visibilities;
- Monitor and provide oversight to the event implementation and support the team to hold the event smoothly and successfully;
- Prepare and submit an Event Report, including the attendance sheet, success stories, feedback from the participants, the impact of the project, lesson learn, and recommendation;
- Participate in the coordination meeting with UNDP and provide inputs and lessons learned;
- Undertake any other relevant tasks, as requested by the Project Management Specialist.
- Integrity, professionalism, and respect for diversity.
- Ability to think conceptually and flexibly, capacity to adapt, innovate, and propose multiple options.
- A team player with good interpersonal skills
- Ability to practice courtesy and diplomacy with high-rank officials.
- Time management skills.
- Enjoy sensitivity for research and academic integrity.
- Ability to work well under pressure and stressful environment
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- At least Bachelor’s degree in BA Economics, Administration, Management (with master’s degree, minimum 5 years of relevant experience, with Bachelors’ Degree minimum 7 years of relevant experience).
- Minimum of seven years of relevant project coordination experience with demonstrated experience of working closely with local/national authorities and civil society.
- Experience in coordination of economic development, business grant management, and livelihoods project;
- Experience in working with international agencies and NGOs is a must, desirable with UNDP.
- Strong written and spoken English. Working knowledge of Arabic is an asset.