UNV, Yaounde, Cameroon
Closing Date for Applications:
- 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the MCO Representative, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist in managing the flow of information to the supervisor, in identifying priority matters that need to be urgently addressed by the supervisor and in proposing actions;
- Analyze supporting documentation and summarize most relevant points for the supervisor; contribute to ensuring that appropriate action is taken by responsible Section Heads on matters brought to the attention of the supervisor;
- Assist in following-up on policies and instructions presented by the supervisor.
- Keep the Supervisor of developments in UNHCR’s major operations in the West and Central Africa regions, and of policies issues related directly to UNHCR or to humanitarian issues under the broader UN system.
- Assist the supervisor in the preparation of statements that represent UNHCR’s overall policies and which highlight specific areas of concern. Propose and draft substantive correspondence for the supervisor. (SMC notes, talking points, meeting notes).
- Confer with Section Heads to secure timely and authoritative information relevant to matters requiring action, decisions or the signature of the supervisor.
- Ensure that the supervisor is prepared for meetings and missions by drafting talking points, by researching relevant information; and by establishing contacts (within and outside UNHCR) on the subject matters to be discussed.
- Accompany the supervisor to meetings and on missions in order to prepare notes on the discussions, ensure follow-up in matters raised, and support the supervisor with any relevant input.
- Support the supervisor in efforts to raise the profile of UNHCR and the agency’s concerns within the context of the broader United Nations system.
- Contribute to coordinating drafts of position papers and other documents relevant to the activities of the Office.
- Ensure that high-level visitors are appropriately addressed, that they receive background information as necessary, and that protocol is respected.
Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent Education -
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Political Science, International Relations, Law or other related fields.
- Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
36 Months Experience remark:
- Minimum 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function;
- Proven drafting and editing skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- A proven ability to act with discretion and diplomacy is essential for this function;
- Office Package (excellent knowledge of Word, good knowledge of Excel and Power Point), and Internet browsing;
- Knowledge of additional UN languages such as Spanish and/or Portuguese is an asset
- Strong skills on social media (twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc…)
- Good knowledge and experience of UN operations.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent.