The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role:
Responsible to carry financial and administration tasks to respond to the needs of program and technical departments, and to support the office teams while building their capacity.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Assist with preparation of budgets.
- Implement financial SOPs, policies and procedures.
- Establish, maintain and reconcile the general ledger
- Ensure data and transactions are properly recorded and entered into accounting systems.
- Prepare Income statements and balance sheets as needed.
- Assist with annual audits.
- Maintain financial files and records.
- Maintain contract follow up on a monthly basis, and make sure all contracts are renewed, closed, or paid on time.
- Filing, scanning, and sending monthly financial documents to country office.
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern
- Cash control
- Establish and maintain cash controls.
- Monitor cash reserves and investments.
- Prepare monthly cash requests and prepare weekly cash reports.
- Carry out cash transactions.
- Cash Book registry update on a daily basis, and cash count on a weekly, and monthly basis with the Area Manager.
- Recruitment and compensations & benefits
- Ensure staff recruitment and contracting process is in line with DRC procedure and the local labor law.
- Update recruitment tracker.
- Send contract request and/or contract extension.
- People planning, performance, development and well-being
- Monitor and update staff leave balance.
- Ensure that all staff personnel records are properly maintained and regularly updated.
- Update and maintain staff lists.
- Ensure that DRC internal documents are filled in correctly.
- Support in writing Terms of References for staff.
- Administrative tasks in relation to performance and development processes.
- Administrative tasks in relation staff development.
- Ensure compliance in Human Resources Administration Management to DRC Operations Handbook
- Support people well-being initiatives.
- Support staff development activities including promoting the DRC Learning Catalogue.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Experience and technical competencies:
- 3 yrs. work experience in financial/accounting and administration field or in a similar role.
- Computer proficiency highly desirable, particularly the use of MS Excel.
- Proven ability to priorities tasks and meet deadlines.
- A strong team-player with good analytical skills.
- Experience in working in NGOs.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Attention to details and ability to work under pressure and within strict reporting deadlines.
EDUCATION: B.A Degree Accounting, Finance or in Business Administration
- English (fluent) - essential
- Amharic (fluent) - essential
- Oromo (fluent) – essential