Org. Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the Field Operations Finance Division (FOFD) in the Office of Programme Planning, Finance and Budget (OPPFB) in the Department of Management Strategy Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Section.
The Field Operations Finance Division supports the Controller in exercising accountability for the financial resources made available by the Member States for peacekeeping operations and special political missions, with a currently approved annual budget of approximately US$7 billion.
The Division is committed to an ongoing change process to ensure the highest effectiveness and efficiency standards in budget preparation and presentation including the mainstreaming of results-based budgeting. The working environment of peacekeeping operations is dynamic, and the team is committed to meeting the corresponding demands. The main partners of the Division are the peacekeeping operations, the Department of Peace Operations, the Department of Operational Support, the Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs, the legislative bodies and troop- and uniformed police- contributing countries.
Under the guidance of the Section Chief, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Analyses budget submissions, obtains clarifications and justifications.
- Prepares budget and budget performance reports for large and complex peacekeeping operations as well as backstopping activities.
- Prepares financial implications for Secretary-General's reports to the Security Council.
- Prepares the supplementary information and supports the Director and the Section Chief in presentation of the budget proposals and budget performance reports to the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions and to the Fifth Committee of the General Assembly.
- Administers and monitors related trust funds.
- Prepares allotments, staffing table authorizations and redeployments of funds.
- Analyses and monitors budget implementation.
- Monitors payments to troop- and formed police-contributing Governments for the settlement of liabilities.
- Drafts official correspondence and background papers including briefings for senior management.
- Conducts research and prepares communication to member states on financial issues.
- The incumbent may be requested to perform other related duties, including those related to management of the Office of the Director, support to the Director in the consideration of all matters requiring his/her attention; drafting of talking points, papers, briefing notes and special financing reports; undertaking research and analysis and providing assistance to the Director on financial aspects of trust funds and human resources issues in the Division, as well as other tasks.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, finance, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
- Experience with budgetary policies and practices, financial regulations and rules is required.
- Experience in preparing reports for intergovernmental or expert bodies is required.
- Experience in the use of information technology tools for financial analysis and monitoring of budgets is required.
- Experience in preparing and drafting written reports is required.
- Experience in results-based approaches to budgeting is desirable.
- Experience with financial systems/finance modules or enterprise resource planning (ERP) is desirable.
- Experience with peacekeeping operations is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is a desirable.