The United Nations Children's Funds (UNICEF) in Vientiane, Lao PDR, requires an experienced and qualified Lao National to fill the position of Temporay Appointment (TA) Finance Assistant at GS-5 level to be based in UNICEF Country Office in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Under the supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the TA/Finance Assistant is responsible for executing a broad variety of standardized financial tasks, requiring thorough knowledge of UNICEF financial procedures, processes and policies, including support to Global Partnership for Education (GPE)-funded transactions.
In this capacity, the need to project the image of a credible and reliable service provider is imperative to quality of process delivery, and the impact of work directly reflects on the overall reputation of the team in terms of responsiveness to client needs and quality of process execution.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Review and process payments related to HACT, utility payments, supplies, purchase orders, advances and other payments. Check if requests have the necessary supporting documents, usually the original document, validity of the charge, if they are certified by the staff responsible and are coded correctly. File the transactions and the related supporting documents regularly and share copies with relevant sections as required.
- Respond to client transaction status and other inquiries.
- Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts. This includes preparing recurring reports and bank reconciliation.
Support to Financial Control:
- Close year-end accounts and assist in the preparation of year-end reports related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, prepayment, inter-agency balances, etc.
- Prepares recurring reports as schedules and special reports, as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
- Prepares detailed cost estimates, and participates in budget analysis and projects, as required.
- Provide relevant information for the response to audits.
- Performs other duties, as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Qualifications and experience:
- Completion of secondary education preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible accounting/financial or clerical work experience is required.
- Fluency in English and Local language of the duty station is required.