Tara is a new philanthropic initiative in Asia. Tara’s vision is a just and thriving Asia powered by renewable energy. Our mission is to support a diverse group of partners to accelerate Asia’s energy transformation. Tara funds think tanks, civil society, research organizations and other non-state actors, and our mandate includes Southeast Asia, East Asia excluding China, and South Asia excluding India. Tara has a team of 15 people working across the region, including country leads in most of our key focus countries.
Tara is currently hosted at the European Climate Foundation, but with a mandate to localise into an independent regranting foundation in the future, with the strong backing of the ECF and other philanthropic foundations.
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal. The ECF also hosts a number of initiatives with a global outreach.
About the role
As the Finance Director, you will be responsible for ensuring proper financial management of a multi-milliondollar programme and organisation.
- Tara aims to localise in the Southeast Asia region. This means that the a Finance Director will take on the exciting role of designing and planning the financial structure of a new foundation . Once Tara becomes an independent regranting organisation, the Finance Director will have overall control and responsibility for the financial management of the entire organisation.. Tara has a fast-paced work environment that will challenge you to think on your feet, solve problems and juggle competing demands
- The ideal candidate will have several years of experience in a similar role and will be excited at the prospect of working for a small, but dynamic and growing organisation with a mission to solve the climate crisis.
Reporting to the Managing Director (in the future this position will report to the Chief Operating Officer), the Finance Director will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop and oversee Tara’s financial systems and processes to support the organisational mission and strategy, including designing and implementing a robust financial management and reporting system that is fit-for-purpose;
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting, ensuring that the organisation’s financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation;
- Analyse and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, including collating financial reporting materials for all donor segments;
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the board of directors; assess any changes necessary;
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting;
- Keep key stakeholders abreast of the organisation’s financial status, effectively communicating and presenting critical financial matters to the staff and board of directors.
- Supervise finance staff as needed;
Experience and competencies
- 10 years of experience in a financial role, preferably in an international organisation or a private foundation;
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- A degree in accounting, finance or business;
- A deep understanding of finance and accounting principles and practices, as well as process-based management approach;
- Proven experience in implementing financial systems and mapping software and database applications and ability to link them to the organisation’s financial processes;
- Previous experience in managing and guiding teams through change;
- Results-oriented and committed to deliver high quality work;
- An analytical person with a critical mindset, strong attention to detail and innovative problem-solving skills;
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritize efficiently;
- An enthusiastic and excellent team player who also enjoys working independently
- Enjoys working with multiple internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office;
- Previous experience in project management is an asset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.