The Finance Manager will offer overall support and direction in Financial Administration and Management function for Uganda country operations. He/She will ensure the policies and standards are applied consistently in all the country offices. This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country operations. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
The Finance Manager will work in close cooperation with the Regional Finance Manager for East Africa & Great Lakes Region, Regional Finance Controller for Uganda, these two based in Nairobi and International Finance Controller for Uganda, the latter based at the DRC HQ in Copenhagen.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain cashbooks and DRC financial system, ensure timely monthly closure as well as submission of financial data to RO and HQ.
- Supervise and manage day-to-day accounting functions including data entry, regular cash counts, bank reconciliation and timely submission of financial reports RO, HQ and donors.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive financial management strategy that allows the country office to meet the requirement of DRC and donors’ policies.
- Undertake periodic financial and programmatic risk assessment while identifying current and potential exposure to risks across DRC programmes as well as developing an overall risk management strategy.
- Lead in Finance systems roll out in close collaboration and coordination with DRC’s RO and HQ.
- Prepare and check for reasonableness and accuracy all budgets in compliance with DRC and donor requirements.
- Participate in budget preparation and perform BFU, Co-funding setup and Budget amendments.
- Maintain the updating of operational master budget and proactively notify Head of Support Services of any funding gaps.
- Provide overall financial planning support to Head of Support Services, advise on spending and financial spending strategies, provide accurate financial outlook of the programs on a monthly basis.
- Ensure timely donor financial reporting.
- Ensure timely statutory reporting this includes monthly return filing of WHT, VAT, PAYE and annual filing of DRC returns to URA and NGO Board.
- In collaboration with programs staff and Compliance Specialist, plan and spearhead internal and external audits to completion including monitoring implementation of the audit recommendations.
- Supervise the DRC Corporate Annual Audit process.
- Ensure that Country offices have updated IDRAs, signature verification, power of Attorney and Bank mandates in place.
- Manage liquidity by ensuring DRC Uganda has adequate cash flow at any one time.
- Monitor the project overview on a monthly basis and ensure all high risk items are brought to management attention within shortest time possible, ensure projects are closed within shortest time possible and that DRC tracks all missing/pending instalments from donors.
- Close tracking and monitoring of balance sheet items to ensure they are settled within 2 months.
- Ensure budget follow up (bfus) meeting are taking place at Country Office on monthly basis.
- Perform BVAs on monthly basis and advice management of areas of red flag on over/underspent.
- Support in updating the risk register and issues log.
Finance Policies and Support
- Maintain and update Local Finance manual as necessary.
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in Financial Management related practices in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of output/delivery.
- Work closely with HQ and RO to share information and provide support as required.
Compliance & Capacity Building
- Ensure that all DRC offices in Uganda comply with necessary DRC, national, donor regulations. This includes supporting Uganda finance staff and Area Managers to implement the DRC Finance Volumes.
- Working closely with DRC Uganda Compliance Specialist, conduct a mapping of the main areas of non-compliance with DRC’s operational standards as expressed in the DRC Operations Handbook and other guidelines in the DRC accountability framework in the country and develop a compliance improvement plan.
- Conduct regular visits to field offices to ensure compliance to DRC Financial policies & procedures.
- Provide capacity building support to Finance staff at field offices.
Technical Line Management Responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance and support to other finance staff who report to a different Manager.
- Advise on and promote understanding and application of DRC policies, procedures and principles.
- Raise with management non-compliance issues relating to Finance Administration.
- When relevant, drives development of policies and standards in region or country and/or localizes global policies to regional or country level.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 8 years INGO or other international agencies experience in finance and operations management in international humanitarian set up, including demonstrated ability to set up financial management systems in a large programme and direct experience of delivery of humanitarian programme in an emergency response.
- Extensive experience in financial reporting and knowledge of major donor rules including BPRM, UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, EUTF, ECHO, EU, DFID, DANIDA.
- Proven experience in managing large budgets for multiple donors.
- Proficient in standard computer applications and various accounting and financial management software. Good knowledge working with an integrated ERP software will be an added advantage.
- Strong accounting and analytical skills and well developed knowledge of GAAP and IFRS.
- Strong experience in guiding, couching, capacity building and motivating country programme staff and partners.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks in order to achieve desired results in a multiphasic environment with a very high workload.
- Professional, courteous and able to work with abroad spectrum of people.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willingness to learn from others.
- A Bachelors’ graduate degree in Financial/Business management.
- Addition Professional qualification such as ACCA, CPA or CMA is mandatory.
Languages: Excellent Communication skills in English required.