DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
This role has a project focus and is responsible to fulfil daily financial and accounting tasks for the designated project. The Finance Officer leads in coordinating project based financial functions and services, producing relevant financial provisions and reports to the management on a regular basis.
Accounting / Finance
- Create cost and PO Invoices in DRC Dynamics ensuring that all the necessary supporting documents are fully approved and attached in DRC Dynamics.
- Ensure that payment documents comply with DRC internal financial procedures and donor regulations
- Follow up pending invoices in the system and inform budget holders on the status of the invoices.
- Review staff expense reports and process payments for staff claims. Ensure all expenses in DRC Dynamics are of highest quality.
- Review and post partner expenses in DRC Dynamics on monthly basis.
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the field office in relation to designated project and ensure that the cash requests are done on time.
- Coordinate with the area finance staff to ensure adequate liquidity request is prepared for the project, compiled, and forwarded to Country Finance Specialist.
- Review outstanding advances to partners and DRC staff and follow up with the relevant staff to ensure advances are settled within approved time frame.
- Support the monthly closure of accounts into the Dynamic System.
- Train partner finance and non-finance staff regarding finance procedures and policies.
Budgeting, Planning and Reporting
- Liaise with the Budget holder on a monthly basis ensuring a regular budget review meeting and monitor actual spending by using budget control tools for regular budget follow up.
- Support with financial information for development and review of donor budget preparation and revisions.
- Ensure closing projects are reviewed and clean up is done before financial reporting
- Leads in preparing and updating partner financial reporting with all supporting documentation attached to it.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during review of scanned vouchers.
- Support the project management in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.
- Provide technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high compliance standards.
- Support the finance team leader in internal and external audit process.
- Ensure proper filing system for financial documents
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education, experience & technical competencies
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or equivalent professional qualification.
- Minimum of 2 years’ relevant work experience in financial/accounting field with an international organization preferably in Somalia Context.
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines, self-motivated and proactive
- Good communication skills
- Honest and trustworthy person.
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency in Excel spreadsheet and able to work with Power Point and Word.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.