Geographical Information Systems Officer
World Vision, Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of position
To lead and strengthen the GIS system for World Vision Kenya Technical Programs, build staff capacity in collecting GIS data as well as building and updating the Organizations’ geodatabases. The Officer publishes Programmes’ and Projects’ areas atlases that present comprehensive view of natural conditions and socio economic activities as well as implement WVK Web/Internet based GIS for access by all the stakeholders and donors, including mapping of the WASH universal coverage areas.
GIS Development and Compliance 40%
- Develop/rollout GIS system and databases for all World Vision Kenya Technical Programs.
- Coordinate GIS efforts from the National office, Regional and the Program areas
- Participate in development of WASH GIS monitoring tools and incorporate spatial analysis into the methodologies so that change can be visualized spatially
- Develop specifications for additional GIS and GPS related hardware and software
- Produce maps and data for Programs and Projects especially for the WASH universal coverage program areas. This includes mapping of all water and sanitation facilities/infrastructure
- Design and update WASH GIS database, applying additional knowledge of spatial feature representations.
- Coordinate GIS databases maintenance as per international standards
- Ensure that GIS business processes, standards and policies developed in coordination with other WVK entities are effectively and consistently used by WASH staff.
GIS Data Collection, Analysis, Management and Reporting 35%
- Field visits to monitor GIS operationalization in programs/projects, and specifically in WASH.
- Coordination of collection and validation of WASH GIS data on SDG6
- Conduct research to locate and obtain existing databases.
- Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into program documents and national level reports.
- Compile geographic data from a variety of sources including customer surveys, field Observation, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps.
- Prepare, update, and distribute GIS maps and new information within the organization
- Prepare and provide GIS reports which are evidence-based, based on the data collected from the project areas and share with the programs and staff for sharing with the stakeholders in a simple maps depicting change/impact
- Maintain inventory of system maps as related to GIS (converts from CAD when necessary)
Capacity Building (15%)
- Keep current with new GIS and GPS information and technology (updates the systems)
- Prepare training materials and make presentations to WVK Staff and partners
- Guide GIS system users in creating requirements for GIS Software
- Writes documentation to support software
- Train NO and Field staff on emerging systems in GIS and support their operationalization.
Advocacy, Engagement and Networking 5%
- Ensure high quality presentation of GIS products to WVK staff, donors, NGOs, Government and other stakeholders.
- Linkages with partners (NGOs, County and National government, church, bilateral and multilateral agencies) in resources mapping for development
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor or designee from time to time
- Attend and lead daily devotions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in Geomatics/ Geospatial Engineering, Geographical information systems, Geography or Environmental studies, Water/ Environmental Engineering or a related course with post graduate training in GIS.
- At least 3 years’ experience in conceptualization and preparation of maps and other cartographic products using ArcGIS systems with a working knowledge of the latest version of the software, i.e., ArcGIS 10
- Must demonstrate ability to design methodologies for collecting GIS data, manage spatial datasets, and maintain the strictest confidentiality of sensitive data, while ensuring protocols for usage and licensing of procured GIS datasets/softwares are carefully followed;
- Experience in concepts/proposal development for GIS related initiatives will be an added advantage
- Demonstrate ability to use open source GIS software for data Analysis and presentation
- Experience in development and deployment of GIS mobile to web data collection tools.
- Analytical skills for GIS data
- GIS data visualization skills preferably Tableau, Power BI or any other emerging applications
- Geodatabase development and management