GIS and Database Specialist
Mekong River Commission(MRC), Office of the MRC Secretariat in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Closing Date for Applications:
- Take overall and implement projects/activities of MRC Information System component of IKMP such as work plan preparation, and routine works under the component;
- Provide technical advice in relation to data management, collection and the development of database systems including Data Quality Assurance and Quality Control to the MRC Programmes, projects and riparian relevant line agencies;
- Undertake spatial analyses and mapping for MRC Programmes and projects, as required;
- Maintain and update the spatial and time series databases, including links to other MRC databases;
- Supervise quality control of spatial datasets and the generation of metadata;
- Co-ordinate with other divisions/sections of the MRCS on data retrieval, acquisition, quality control/assessment and analysis for the purposes of enhancing GIS activities at MRCS;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of web-based GIS applications and services, including MRC Data Portal;
- Co-ordinate the processing of spatial datasets requests by other agencies;
- Train riparian counterparts and MRC Programmes staff in GIS applications, including related software, through on-the-job training and technical workshops;
- Perform any other relevant tasks as agreed with the direct supervisor.
- An advanced degree in natural/physical sciences, e.g. geography or Information Technology or in any other academic field relevant to natural resources management and/or mapping and High level training in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) either as part of an advanced degree or through separate recognised training arrangements;
- At least 7 years experience in developing spatial natural resources information systems and databases, demonstrating knowledge of natural resources classification systems and mapping, preferably in relation to the Mekong region or similar natural environments are required;
- Full working knowledge of ArcGIS/ArcInfo software. Knowledge in Remote Sensing related software is an advantage;
- Working knowledge of relational database systems, ArcSDE geodatabase design and management;
- Experience in developing online map services (e.g. with ArcIMS) and GIS Applications is highly desirable;
- Experience in drafting policies, guidelines etc for data and information management would be an advantage;
- Experience in applying satellite remote sensing, both SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) and optical imageries, to GIS for natural resources mapping and inventories would be an advantage;
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken. Working knowledge of more than one riparian language is desirable.
- Only nationals of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam are eligible to apply. The application should include (i) a cover letter outlining clearly how the candidate meets the requirements of the position, (ii) a detailed CV, and (iii) MRC Personal History Form. The position title and section/division must be indicated in the cover letter.
- The job description can be downloaded from the Downlaod box on the right of this page. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.