Global Communications Internship
IRC, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Job Overview: The Global Communications Intern will support the team’s lead for programmatic excellence, working closely with the organization’s technical units to highlight the IRC’s work in healthcare, education, economic recovery and development, and protection services through external communications efforts. While this position will be remote due to COVID-19, the chosen applicant will be invited to participate in weekly team meetings, engage in regular 1:1 check-ins with management, and be given the chance to partake in numerous networking opportunities.
- Assist in the execution of the 2021 communications plan for programmatic excellence through the researching of applicable speakership opportunities, brainstorming event concepts and additional participants, capturing timely op-ed topics, and more.
- Compile and update media lists for each prioritized thematic area.
- Draft key written materials such as media pitches, press releases, and opinion pieces.
- Contribute to brainstorms and meetings specific to content development to help uncover new ways to spotlight the IRC’s programmatic work among external audiences and during key moment such as International Women’s Day.
- Ongoing identification of communications opportunities based on external events and news cycles.
- Gain experience working within a communications team at a leading, global humanitarian organization
- Be able to craft strategic communications materials, with the goal of reaching a wide public audience and global news organizations
- Learn to plan, research, write copy, and edit for technical areas of humanitarian work
- Develop strategic communications skills across various earned and owned channels
- Analyze communications metrics
- Pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Digital Marketing or Related Field
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: Strong writing skills; creativity and flexibility. A short writing test will be distributed to qualified candidates
- Fluency in English required