Danish Refugee Council, Aden, Yemen
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
About the job
- This role sits within a projects that aims to increase access to humanitarian funding for local Yemeni NGOs to increase the localization of the Yemen response and increase the sustainability of project implementation. The Grants Specialist is responsible for the implementation of the Grants / Fundraising aspects of the capacity building project with the overall goal of supporting local NGOs to apply for institutional funding, to meet donor compliance requirements, to manage grants, and to increase funding opportunities. This will be done by supporting with capacity building needs assessments, developing and carrying out formal trainings, on the job training, and mentorship to the staff of local NGO partners. This is not a traditional grant management role: instead it has the aim of teaching YNGOs to apply for and manage their own funding streams without them acting as implementing partners for DRC. The postholder must be dedicated to supporting local organizations to strengthen grants management and fundraising and passionate about capacity building.
- This position works closely with other Specialists on the same project. The postholder will be based in Aden but will cover project deliverables in both the North and South. Field travel is required.
- Training needs assessments and partnership management
- Support partner selection process for national NGOs including local authority liaisons as needed
- Develop in-depth capacity building assessment as it relates to funding access and improving access to funding streams with the overall goal of supporting local NGOs to manage existing grants and to increase funding opportunities
- Manage positive and productive relations with selected NNGOs across the country
- Establish and maintain productive links between Capacity Building partners and staff, and DRC Program, Grants, and Support departments
Training plan and materials development
- Develop training plans based on capacity building needs assessment and consultations with DRC staff, local NGO staff, local authorities and Clusters
- Develop relevant and high quality training materials including presentations, practical activities, guidelines, support resources, pre and post tests etc.
- Implementation of training
- Carry out all Grants and funding related trainings and on the job mentorship as part of broader capacity building program
- Accountability and reporting
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives within project as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact and lessons learned of activities
- Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement
- Provide input for monthly, quarterly and annual donor reports
- Support other Specialists to build the capacity of project staff, including Project Officers, including coaching, coordination, recruitment, and capacity development
- Provide on the job training as much as required and adapt trainings/coaching to specific staff needs, including supporting internal capacity building activities
Required experience and competencies
- All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Technical expertise in humanitarian funding application / Fundraising, including basic compliance requirements, donor specificities, project cycle management, proposal development and proposal writing, and reporting
- At least 2 years experience in a proposal development role in humanitarian contexts
- Minimum 2 years in training and liaising with national NGOs, including developing of training plans, training materials and facilitating training
- Experience dealing with national partners and local/government authorities in challenging contexts
- Good knowledge of relevant donor compliance regulations
- Professional background in working in contexts with internally displaced persons and/or refugees
- Experience working in multicultural work settings
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Willingness to embrace and further develop overall objectives such as gender equity, impact monitoring, and cross-sector cooperation.
- Advanced degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Arabic highly desireable
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- 12 YNGOs
- Local / National Authorities
- Cluster Coordinators
- DRC Technical Leads
- Head of Program/Ops/ Head of Support Services
- Country Director