The Green Climate Fund (“GCF”) is a new multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change.
GCF will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). In the context of sustainable development, GCF will promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.
GCF is governed by a Board, composed of an equal representation of developed and developing countries. The Fund is operated by an independent Secretariat headed by an Executive Director. GCF will pursue a country-driven approach in its operations.
The Fund seeks to recruit a Graphic Designer Assistant Consultant to join its team at its headquarters in Songdo, Republic of Korea, for a 10-month Period .
The Consultant will be responsible, under the guidance of the Communications Design Officer, for designing and executing high-quality and visually-compelling materials — digital and print — to define and strengthen the GCF brand. S/he translates complex, technical information into innovative knowledge products that speak to GCF Partners and the public at large.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Communications and Communications Design Officer, s/he will:
- Fully understand and apply GCF’s branding guidelines and visual standards and seek guidance of GCF staff in the application of the branding guidelines, when required;
- Assist with the conception, development and execution of high-quality and creative web, digital and print products that correspond to and promote the GCF mission;
- Work closely with the Communications Design Officer and GCF staff to propose, develop and deliver dynamic communication products, e.g. infographics, publications, social media visuals, banners, ‘leave behinds’, etc.;
- Follow design work from idea to production, working with internal and external clients to ensure products are delivered on time and on message. This includes managing the full production process cycle with local and off-site printers, designers and other vendors as required;
- Design original graphics and source other visuals (e.g. photographs, artwork) to be used in the Fund’s products;
- Prepare and process imagery for use in all information, marketing and knowledge products;
- Provide support for event preparation, including, but not limited to, photography and displays, for events at Headquarters and abroad.
Expected experience and qualifications
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio, with samples of similar assignments;
- University degree in communications, branding, graphic design, visual arts or a related field;
- A minimum of 1-3 years of professional experience in digital and print graphic design, including layout, digital production, typography, branding for web and print visual communication products;
- Previous experience working in a similar role in UN agencies or other international organizations preferred;
- Track record in translating technical and information into clear and understandable graphics and documents that are visually-appealing and easy to use and navigate;
- Solid understanding of web design functionality, interaction, site architecture, user interfaces, and navigation across multiple platforms and devices;
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and proficiency in MS Office and other similar programmes;
- Ability to deliver creative and detailed work under pressure and within tight deadlines while managing multiple work streams and timelines;
- Creative and conceptual thinker, self-directed and motivated by problem-solving and design challenges;
- Able to work independently and efficiently with limited guidance in a deadline-driven environment;
- Good communication skills, teamwork, collaboration and client relationship skills; and
- Good written and oral communication skills in English are essential for this position; knowledge of another UN language an advantage.
- Suitable candidates will be requested to undertake an online test to assess their skills level in design software. The person subsequently assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the qualifications, experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Other combinations of academic qualifications and years of experience may be considered. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing and references.
- Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply. However, the compensation and benefits package for this position will be determined on the basis of a local recruitment.
- Applications from women and national of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Closing date for applications is 18 March 2020 (KST). Applications submitted after the closing date may not be considered.