Greece Medical Coordinator
Syrian American Medical Society, Thessaloniki, Greece
Closing Date for Applications:
SAMS is a non-profit, non-political educational and humanitarian organization, which has provided medical and humanitarian relief inside Syria and in surrounding countries since the start of the Syrian armed conflict. We pride ourselves on our ability to work innovatively in challenging circumstances to support those in need. SAMS-Global Response (SGR) is an extension of this work and we aim to provide medical relief to refugees on the migrant route in Europe. SGR provides medical relief; innovations and specialised health care to disaster displaced and underserved populations.
The Medical Coordinator is a leadership position that is expected to implement SAMS’ strategic vision within the field to provide the best medical services that can serve those most in need. Flexibility in programming to enable SGR to be the most responsive and highest quality programme possible, working with the team to secure necessary resources. The medical coordinator works closely with the field coordinator and logistics coordinator in Northern Greece as well as the country manager in Northern Greece and the country coordinator in Athens.
Start date: ASAP
- Coordinate established medical services including primary health care, antenatal care, paediatric and chronic care as well as mental health prevention and community health education.
- Lead the international team of short and long term volunteers, permanent medical staff and triage officers to ensure smooth and safe clinic function
- Maintain open and professional relations with partners, promoting a strong team spirit and providing guidance, oversight and resources to enable staff and volunteers to perform successfully.
- Ensure program quality meets standards set by SAMS-GR policies through regular audit and reflection.
- Contribute to identification of opportunities for appropriate and sustainable expansion and/or growth of programs, in consultation with in country management and the SAMS-GR Committee.
- Contribute to scheduling and program design for new and existing SAMS-GR projects.
- Regularly audit and report on pre-identified deliverables to the SAMS-GR committee. These will include accurate and confidential completion of medical records, data collection and health promotion activities.
Location and Transportation
- The project is currently based in the Sindos region of Northern Greece. The applicant would be expected to base him/herself in this region.
- Given the unstable nature of the migrant resettlement planning process in Greece, the location and nature of SGR clinics may change in the coming months. The applicant would be expected to relocate as required to facilitate clinic function.
- A clean driving license and the ability to drive in Greece is a requirement, please specify manual (stick shift) or automatic transmission driving ability.
- Medical degree or other relevant healthcare degree from a recognised university.
- Evidence of Greek and English language proficiency (read, write, speak); Arabic/Kurdish is/are also desirable.
- Legal status allowing work and/or practice medicine in Greece.
- Advanced computer skills.
- The applicant must demonstrate flexibility in the role as well as the ability to work well and make sound decisions under pressure in situations that may be unpredictable.
- The ability to multi-task, be organized with excellent time management skills, work in a team and think calmly and logically, even in a crisis is imperative.
- Energetic leadership skills that promote and model positive, professional and respectful behaviour at all times.
- Country Manager, Greece
- Salary and Contract
- Full time (40 hours/week) with some additional responsibilities in an urgent situation.
- Salary starting from 1200€ (net) to be discussed upon application, based on relevant experience.
- Initial six-month contract with the opportunity for extension pending performance review; one month probation period.
How to Apply
Please send through your CV, Cover Letter and proof of ability to work in Greece to the Greece Country Manager on email@example.com . Please title the email Greece Medical Coordinator Application + your name.
Applications will be on a rolling basis, open until the 21st of May although if a suitable applicant is found before that time, the position may be filled.