The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
About the job
- The Guard will work under the guidance of the Protection Assistants and Security Officer for the Danish Refugee Council to provide protection and security of the Danish Refugee Council's properties as well as monitor the state of public safety and the implementation of safety regulations and safety plans as defined by the direct supervisor.
- Ensure security of DRC property, staff and beneficiaries
- Secure DRC facilities including all the vehicles parked in the area
- Patrol facilities regularly when it is not occupied, especially at night
- Control access to DRC facilities Assist in loading/unloading vehicles
- Assist in keeping the facility and street outside clean – remove rubbish etc.
- Enforce DRC’s no weapons policy
- Welcome visitor; ensuring the visitor’s book is signed; and direct the visitor to the office
- Switch on/off generator and water pumps as required
- Report any security incident to the Project Coordinator
- Follow DRC security guidelines
- Any other assignment by the line manager
- Be on time for your shift
- No sleeping on duty
- Remain vigilant at all times and ready to react
- Behave in accordance with DRC low profile security rules
- No personal visitors while you are working on shift
- All visitors to be respected and treated fairly
- Be clean and presentable for your duties
- No guard is allowed to use abusive language
- Do not leave your post without permission, even if the next shift has not arrived
- Any guard engaging in a criminal act will be automatically dismissed
- Non-interference with the work of the outreach workers
- Maintain positive work relationship within the team, and promote team-building efforts in coordination
- With the CBP Officer.
- Ensure respect of DRC Code of Conduct.
- Participate in training and coaching as required on services, relevant SOPs, and the data filing and storing
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job as directed by the CBP Officer.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Previous experience in Safety field.
- Proven team player and leader.
- Fluent in writing and reading in the Arabic language
- Good communication and negotiation skills.
- Able to lead by example.
- Excellent standard of dress and personal appearance (according to visibility profile).
- Familiarity with humanitarian principles and practices is an advantage
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights
Languages: Fluency in Arabic is a required
Education: Bachelor/Degree in Social work, Counseling, psychology or other related field