Head of Field Office
Trócaire, Bunia, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
- Safeguarding Pro-gramme Partici-pants Policy: Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employ-ment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Coordination & Liaison (in close coordination with the Country Director and the Head of Programmes)
- In consultation with the Country Director and Head of Programmes, represent Trocaire in coordination fora, in-cluding the provincial coordination team, with emphasis on engaging in and contributing to context analysis, stra-tegic planning and advocacy.
- Identify areas of intervention for Trocaire and partners in close collaboration with Head of Programmes, Technical advisors and local authorities.
- Participate and contribute to overall humanitarian/development/stabilization coordination mechanisms.
- Liaise with government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies and the Church with a view to harmonizing and coordinating ongoing activities.
- Regularly meet with and brief the above-mentioned stakeholders in order to discuss new findings and corrective actions, when required.
- Transmit clear, comprehensive and concise information to the Country Office and Head Office
- Facilitate public information sharing on Trócaire’s programmes in consultation with the Country Director and the Head of Programmes.
Programme Management (in coordination with the Head of Programmes)
- Oversee, plan, and coordinate all programme activities to meet the desired programme objectives, in accordance with the Country Strategic Plan.
- Organize and lead programme and programme support coordination meetings to ensure efficient and effective delivery on programme results, to take early action where and when required and ensure full compliance with Trocaire and donor regulations.
- Closely supervise the Trocaire’s activities to ensure timely planning and delivery.
- Ensure Programme, Finance and Logistics Units’ interaction and coordination.
- Enforce Trócaire’s policies, rules and regulations related to Programme, Administration, Staffing, Finance and Budget according to guidelines provided by the Head Office in close coordination with the Finance/Admin Man-ager.
- Oversee and coordinate the development of project concept notes ensuring alignment with the wider programme in close coordination with the Head of Programmes.
- Oversee and coordinate the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that ena-ble informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders in close coordination with the Business Development and Compliance Manager.
- Support the capacity building of Trocaire staff, partners and government counterparts in line with Trócaire’s poli-cies, its internal Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan and the partners’ organisational development plans.
- Provide guidance to support staff, acting as a point of referral.
Administration, Finances and Supply Chain (in coordination with the Finance/Admin Manager)
- Ensure effective collaboration and teamwork between programme and support system staff/teams to achieve our common goals & objectives.
- Oversee and monitor expenditure against the budget and ensure that any necessary corrective actions are taken in a timely manner in coordination with Trócaire Finance Team, Programme Teams, and Business Development/Compliance Manager.
- Advice Trocaire staff on and ensure implementation of Trócaire’s admin/finance/HR/logistics policies and proce-dures, on the staffing/management/structure and general administration issues.
- Oversee the management of Trocaire’s premises (office, warehouse and guesthouse) to ensure that they are al-ways clean, comfortable, healthy, safe and secure for provision or acceptable working environment.
- Oversee the management of Trócaire’s fleet and ensure that vehicle and related transportation policies are un-derstood and adhered to by all staff.
- Ensure that Trócaire’s security measures are in place and adhered to at all times.
- Supervise the logistics operations and coordinate the duties assigned to the Logistics Staff
- Ensure that timely and cost-effective delivery and distribution systems are in place.
- Ensure the integrity of transport information, and commodity tracking.
- Supervise all aspects of warehousing including guesthouse and handling where relevant.
As Member of the Country Management Team:
- As a member of the Country Management Team, actively and constructively contribute to the overall leadership of Trócaire’s country programme in DRC
- Active participate in Country Team Management meetings, contributing significantly to decisions on policy and strategic direction, playing a key role in the ongoing implementation and adaptation of Trócaire’s DRC Country Strategic Plan.
- Ensure that Trócaire’s policies and strategies are incorporated in our work and contribute to the ongoing devel-opment of existing policies and strategies within the DRC programme.
- Actively promote Trócaire’s Safe Programming policy and CHS commitments through relevant training, aware-ness raising etc.
- Take a prominent role in supporting the Country Director in maintaining and developing best standards of practice in relation to safeguarding.
- Effectively promote Trocaire’s work and the work of its partners with external stakeholders – government, local au-thorities, donors, UN agencies, other NGOs, etc. – as required.
- Foster a positive, collaborative and enabling work environment and encourage proactive, effective and transpar-ent information sharing within the office and with CMT on conflict dynamics, security situation and programmes in Bunia.
- Inform the Country Director on the operations of the field office during daily briefings and seek on time support if required..
- • Fulfil other reasonable duties and responsibilities, as requested by the Country Director and the Head of Region at HQ.
- Person Specification – The ideal person will have
- Third level qualification in Development, Humanitarian or related field of study
- Proven Experience of min. 5 years senior management level experience with an NGO in development programming with specific experience in managing multi-sector inter-ventions
- Proven experience in working with partners.
- Experience of working with major international donors, compliance and regulations.
- Experience working with project budgets and other financial management tools, track-ing project expenditure (budgets vs. actuals), facilitating funds transfers to partners and analysing/responding to partner financial reports.
- Experience of managing an office and multidisciplinary / multicultural teams.
- Experience with representation of the organisation with government, UN, and donor au-diences for coordination and advocacy
- Experience in protection mainstreaming, including gender and accountability consid-erations.
- Strong organisational and independent working skills
- Strong coordination skills specifically with the ability to effectively coordinate with local partners and among internal team members (technical, finance, management).
- Ability to transfer skills and knowledge through, training, mentorship and accompani-ment.
- Ability to work through a local partnership model
- Fluency in French and English (local language skills an asset).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication and networking skills, including the ability to relate across different organisational functions, structures, levels, and cultures.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office).
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Cultural sensitivity and respect
- Strong diplomatic skills in communicating with stakeholders and team members
- Understanding of, and empathy with, the role of the Catholic Church in development
- A strong commitment to social justice, and an empathy with the ethos and work of Trócaire
- A commitment to civil society strengthening and support for working in partnership with local actors
- Ability and willingness to travel within country and internationally, including travel to HQ in Ireland