Head, Programme Evaluation Group
International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) comprises four main functional areas: internal audit, investigation, management services and programme evaluation. In accordance with its Charter, OIOS provides the Director General and IAEA managers with objective, independent and systematic assessments for the purposes of improving the efficiency and effectiveness of programme delivery, and ensuring accountability, sound governance, risk management and internal control, and good management practice.
- Under the general supervision of the Director of OIOS, the Head of the Programme Evaluation Group ensures the effective coordination of the Programme Evaluation Group and the delivery of its work plan objectives, in addition to performing or leading the most complex and/or sensitive assignments her/himself.
- The Head of the Programme Evaluation Group is: (1) a group leader of the programme evaluation function, coordinating the planning of evaluations, providing reviews and quality assurance for the function, and ensuring that evaluations contribute to the IAEA’s continuous learning and improvement culture, strengthen programme performance, and enhance accountability and transparency; (2) a methodical specialist, conducting evaluations and preparing recommendations for streamlining the work of the respective programme or functional areas in order to increase their relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability; 3) a communicator, reporting on evaluation findings and formulating both oral and written conclusions and recommendations, as well as requesting actions in response to the recommendations; and (4) an expert and advisor on programme evaluation matters for the Director of OIOS and Agency senior management.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the delegated authority received from the Director of OIOS:
- Plan and manage the programme evaluation activity to ensure systematic and evidence-based examinations of the IAEA’s programmes, policies, services and/or functions to objectively assess the achievement of their intended purposes and to recommend ways of improving their design, implementation or results; ensuring that the programme evaluation function achieves the purpose and responsibility set out in the OIOS Charter, that it conforms with the United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG) norms and standards for evaluation as relevant to the Agency, and that it supports the organization in learning and in demonstrating its accountability.
- Plan, carry out/lead and report on the most complex and sensitive programme evaluation activities.
- Ensure effective resource management aimed to select, oversee and deploy competent and appropriate staff and consultants to achieve the approved programme evaluation work plan. In this context, perform administrative tasks to the extent delegated by the Director of OIOS.
- Provide direction and guidance to team members ensuring effective team functioning; ensure appropriate learning, training and development and actively participate in HR planning and assessing staff performance. Actively promote ongoing staff development by coaching evaluation staff.
- Provide to the Director of OIOS periodic reporting on the programme evaluation activity and the identified issues of concern for senior management and Member States.
- Develop and maintain a quality assurance and improvement programme that covers all aspects of the programme evaluation activity, with particular reference to: i) ongoing monitoring of the performance of the programme evaluation activity; ii) monitoring of evaluation procedures and development of business process improvement plans; and iii) on-the-job professional development activities to ensure that the programme evaluation function as a whole incorporates the knowledge, skills and other competences needed to perform its responsibilities.
- Represent OIOS and the Agency as required.
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
Master's Degree -
- Advanced university degree in social science, political science, engineering, economics, or another relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible relevant experience in evaluation, of which 3 years at international level. Experience in working across multiple sectors would be an advantage, such as international organizations, governments and/or different industries within the private sector.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the latest programme evaluation techniques and methodologies, and practical experience in conducting and/or supervising evaluations of programmatic and other activities.
- Proven experience in supervisory roles, ideally leading or co-leading teams of evaluators.
- Excellent partnering skills and stakeholder management.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including interview and presentation techniques, with ability to effectively convey complex ideas in an engaging manner with clarity, diplomacy and precision.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.