About the Organization:
Plastics For Change has developed an ethical sourcing platform to create sustainable livelihoods for the urban poor while transitioning the industry towards a circular economy. Our deal process and mobile platform provide waste pickers with access to fair and consistent income opportunities.
Similar to fair trade agriculture, our platform creates transparency and accountability from the base of the supply chain to the store shelf. This results in more efficient shared-value chains and higher quality recycled plastic. We provide expertise to help catalyse brands and manufacturers to replace the use of virgin plastic with ethically sourced recycled plastic, thereby immediately improving the social and environmental impact of their products.
Job Title: Head of R & D
We are looking for highly committed and passionate individuals who believe in bringing change in the informal recycling sector through innovation. This individuals should have -
- Knowledge of local scrap material and plastic segregation
- A strong technical background in recycled plastic resin.
- Experience in working with the informal sector.
- Strong partnerships/networks with recyclers in India.
- Alignment with our values and are passionate to create social and economic inclusion with their skillset.
Reports To: CEO
Key Duties and Key Responsibilities-
Research and Development:
- Develop, test and trial recycled resin for various market ready applications.
- Develop a business plan and implement repeatable success of resin material.
- Develop a QA / QC training methodology process for various stakeholders in the supply chain to adhere to stringent quality control processes.
- Use PFC’s cloud based platform to ensure smooth data management and security of SOP’s and training methodologies.
- Develop partnerships with various recyclers in India to enable commercialising of the resin material. Negotiate volumes and pricing with partners.
- Negotiate terms, conditions, pricing with various stakeholders in the supply chain.
- Develop a competitive pricing strategy for various resins.
- Work closely with the sourcing and operations team within PFC.
- Working with the operations team to build trust with stakeholders and maintain strong working relationships.
- Piloting and building partnerships with qualifying recyclers.
- Develop training materials and implement training/capacity building to strengthen stakeholders and their workers w.r.t PFC Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for specific plastic types.
- Improve overall supply chain strategy through continuous innovation.
- Allocate resources cost effectively towards capacity-building and development.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Ensure QC / QA data is managed on our application.
- Support and enable field-workers to capture information from the field towards quality data analysis for long term sustainability and repeatable success.
- Work closely with the operations team to ensure supply chain runs smoothly
- Ensure that the PFC policies, SOPs and protocols are being adhered to at all levels of the company.
- Ensure strict adherence to data confidentiality and security.
- Willingness to travel frequently across the country, sometimes at short notice, including other places as per need of project or company.
- Be willing to work within tight timelines and turnaround times.
- Work closely with other PFC team members, clients and partners.
Note: The roles and responsibilities outlined above are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. Flexibility is required and the incumbent is expected to carry out any other related duties that are necessary for the optimum functioning of the company as a whole within the employee's skills and abilities whenever a need is pointed out, becomes apparent or as reasonably instructed.
Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications-
- Background in polymer science/plastic engineering.
- 3-5+ years of experience in plastic waste segregation and quality control.
- 3-5+ years of experience in sourcing plastic scrap from the informal sector.
- Experience in supply chain management and optimization.
- 3-5+ years experience in business strategy and partnership development including price negotiations.
- Fluency in Hindi, English and any other local languages is prefered.
- Sound understanding of the informal sector.
- Good understanding of social and environmental concepts and methods.
- Experience of being part of any program/project management or field work would be an added advantage.
- Good interpersonal skills and communication ability
- Open to new challenges.
- Good data management, documentation and reporting skills.
- Good computer skills – MS Office, and Working on CRM.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise tasks.
- Eye for detail.
- Able to learn new systems, methods, processes and procedures.
- Able to meet deadlines and produce quality outputs.
- Proactive and self motivated.
- Humility, honesty, transparency, integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.