Head of Service, Digital, Knowledge and Information Service
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris, France
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is an international organisation comprised of 37 member countries that works to build better policies for better lives. Our mission is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. Together with governments, policy makers and citizens, we work on establishing evidence-based international standards, and finding solutions to a range of social, economic and environmental challenges. From improving economic performance and creating jobs to fostering strong education and fighting international tax evasion, we provide a unique forum and knowledge hub for data and analysis, exchange of experiences, best-practice sharing, and advice on public policies and international standard-setting.
- On behalf of the Secretary-General, the Executive Directorate (EXD) supports the Organisation in the following areas: financial management, human resource management, information technology, internal communications, conference management, security (both physical and digital), translation and interpretation, knowledge and information management (in co-ordination with the Public Affairs and Communication Directorate), risk management, crisis management and all operational services including building infrastructure and logistics.
- Within the Executive Directorate, the Digital, Knowledge and Information Service (EXD/DKI) develops IT-related policies and delivers services in a cost-effective manner while responding effectively to a fast performing environment. It provides the digital infrastructure that ensures a high return on investment for the Organisation. EXD/DKI also leads and coordinates across Directorates in managing digital solutions and technologies to support the 3000 staff in the Organisation in delivering the mission of the OECD.
- EXD is seeking a strategic, dynamic and experienced senior leader as Head of EXD/DKI. Working under the EXD Executive Director, this role will be responsible for the continuous improvement and innovation in the provision of Digital Services across the Organisation both for stakeholders and for end-users. S/he will ensure that EXD/DKI embeds an open, cloud ready, risk-based service for all users that is both affordable and secure. S/he will foster a collaborative approach, will anticipate the needs of the Organisation, in a context of uncertainty given the current pandemic, and will help advance the Organisation’s internal digital strategy in coordination with the Office of the Secretary General and policy directorates. S/he will also ensure that the OECD is at the forefront of multi-national institutions in the provision of effective and efficient digital work place services and tools.
- As a key member of the EXD Strategic Leadership Team, s/he will report directly to the EXD Executive Director. The selected candidate will lead a diverse team of over 100 staff and contractors across five Divisions and will manage a multi-million Euro budget (<€10M). The Head of EXD/DKI will be a seasoned leader and manager who is skilled at fostering a healthy and productive working environment. S/he will be experienced in managing human and financial resources effectively, especially in times of budgetary constraints. S/he will also be experienced at effectively communicating complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences and at meeting reporting requirements commensurate to accountabilities for an IT function in a large organisation.
Leadership, Strategy and Continuous Improvement
- Provide strategic direction and leadership in delivering innovative, secure, high-quality, user-centric, cost-effective digital services and tools for the Organisation.
- Ensure transparent planning and priority setting in developing and implementing digital capabilities and services, together with a strong focus on value for money and risk management.
- As part of the EXD Management team, anticipate and respond to the evolving needs of the Organisation in an integrated manner, especially in the context of COVID-19, where EXD services are critical to the ongoing success of the Organisation.
- Advance the Organisation’s internal digital strategy, in coordination with the Office of the Secretary General and policy directorates.
- Identify and support opportunities for improving the digital infrastructure and service provision for the Organisation.
- Be an active and collaborative member of the EXD leadership team as a whole, working with colleagues within EXD to create an attractive and productive working environment.
- Respond and assist the Secretary-General and Member countries to leverage organisational knowledge and information capacity, enhancing the impact and relevance of OECD output.
Management of People and Resources
- Accountable for the delivery of the Service’s agreed programme of work and budget (PWB)
- Lead, manage and motivate EXD/DKI to deliver outcomes while building a cohesive, diverse and multidisciplinary team.
- Supervise and develop the team in the Office of the Head of Service and Management Support Unit, providing direction and leadership in line with the whole of EXD on priorities, effective working methods and good communication
- Encourage innovation, knowledge sharing, teamwork, client focus, high standards and excellence across EXD/DKI.
- Promote inclusion and diversity through effective recruitment, performance management and professional development of staff.
- Manage budgets effectively in times of constraints, based on value for money and risk management.
- Adhere to and role model to the highest standard, the values and ethical principles in the OECD's Code of Conduct in all internal and external matters.
Client Service Delivery and Operations
- Embed client-focused practices from design to delivery across EXD/DKI.
- Create a culture of sound data management and of data visualisation competence within EXD/DKI, and provide support to those areas across EXD.
- Foster experimentation and innovation in the delivery of services, and monitor outcomes for a data-driven services offering.
- Implement tools and services that are prioritised according to strategic importance, and based on future-proofing, availability on the current/future market and affordability for the Organisation’s needs, while accelerating their adoption when opportunities arise.
- Ensure effective technical support from EXD/DKI for the Organisation’s directorates and Member Countries.
- Set “service standards” and effectively manage expectations of clients and stakeholders based on resources and capabilities.
Communication and Collaboration
- Foster transparency and collaboration across EXD/DKI.
- Ensure effective communication in EXD, across the OECD and with Member Countries.
- Provide complete, accurate, consistent and timely advice, support and briefings to the Executive Director and to the Secretary General.
- Provide advice, support and briefings across the OECD to senior managers, national delegations, inter-governmental bodies and others on relevant matters as necessary, representing EXD/DKI within key groups, panels and committees as required, in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Continue to work with and support the Executive Director’s Office in communications activities across the Organisation and for EXD.
- Chair and participate in various coordination groups on matters related to digital, IT, Data and knowledge management.
- Build a network of strategic external relationships and partnerships with senior digital/information security executives in national administrations, the private sector and other international organisations as appropriate, to ensure the Organisation is aware of current practices in relation to digital matters, involving the Executive Director when necessary.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Advanced university degree in computer sciences, data/technology/mathematical sciences, or related discipline.
- Master of Business Administration would be an asset.
- Minimum ten years’ professional experience at a senior management level with significant experience in digital leadership management and, in particular:
- Experience in managing senior leadership teams through change
- Leading people and achieving through others in a complex, diverse and large organisation
- Client-driven and outcome focussed
- Implementing data management and visualisation
- People management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills
- Budget and Resource Management
- Fluency in one of the two OECD official languages (English or French) and knowledge of the other, with a clear commitment to reach a good working level.