The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is looking for an experienced leader and manager in grants management to be our Head of Unit (HoU) in the Division of Africa and Americas in DRC’s International Department. You will manage and develop 5-6 Administrative Grants Specialists in the Division. You will be DRC’s Business Process Owner for grants management in DRC, leading the development of Grants Management as an increasingly important technical area, and a core business process in DRC Dynamics – our new ERP system.
DRC offers a challenging position in an international and dynamic work environment to experienced and dedicated professionals seeking to continue his/her career with a leading international humanitarian organisation committed to the protection of forced displaced people in conflict zones world-wide.
Who is Danish Refugee Council
DRC is Denmark's largest international non-governmental organisation. We work with humanitarian and development activities to ensure a dignified life for refugees, the displaced, and displacement-affected people and communities in 40 countries.
We focus our assistance during the entire displacement process: From the moment a crisis first emerges and displaces people in their home countries or across borders, to these people’s life in camps, to their arrival in a foreign country, and ultimately to the process of rebuilding a normal life, either through voluntary return, local integration or resettlement.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- The Head of Unit supports the Head of Division to promote and ensure operational excellence and compliance across DRC’s regional and country offices in Africa and the Americas.
- The HoU is a new position established to lead and facilitate the development of DRC standards, policies and procedures to achieve excellence in grants management across all DRC field operations. The HoU is a key stakeholder in leading the transformation of Grants Management into a highly specialized expertise area, capable of executing best in class business processes through our new ERP system, DRC Dynamics. The HoU will be a member of the International Department’s management team, comprised of Heads of Unit and the Senior Management Group.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Inspire, manage and develop 5-6 Administrative Grants Specialists and a Junior Programme Coordinator in the Division
- Be the Business Process Owner for grants works processes in DRC Dynamics (DRC’s ERP system) .
- Lead the development of the grants Dynamics superuser function across the entire organization, including through training, webinars and other outreach to DRC’s network of grants managers.
- Serve as the International Department’s focal point for shared costs.
- Lead the development and updating of efficient and user-friendly policies, processes and procedures for grants, and be the owner of DRC’s Operations Handbook policies related to grants management.
- The successful candidate will be part of the Division for Africa and Americas consisting of 11 colleagues working with the 21 country operations and three regions in Africa as well as DRC’s operations in Colombia and Venezuela. The HoU will travel 3-4 time a year.
Profile and qualifications
You are a flexible and team-oriented colleague and manager able to motivate and develop your team. You thrive working – at times – under intense work pressure, tight deadlines and ad hoc demands. Towards the field, you have a service-minded and involving approach. You are keen to build strong working relations, while at the same time being pro-active and persistent in our shared pursuit for a high level of quality, technical excellence and compliance. You are highly competent with technology and systems, and actively seek opportunities to streamline and simplify work processes. Your experience enables you to take initiative and operate with a high degree of independence.
- At least 3 years of experience as a manager, preferably of technical specialists.
- At least 5 years of experience within the international humanitarian sphere preferably having worked at both headquarters and the field.
- Experience working with grants or financial processes in an ERP system (e.g. SAP, Microsoft Dynamics) is highly desirable.
- Experience in planning, co-ordinating and leading processes that include multiple cross-disciplinary stakeholders across organizations.
- Full professional proficiency in English. French proficiency is an advantage.
- Systematic and analytical approach with a high degree of attention to details.
- Good command and interest in financial processes as well as reviewing and analysing financial data.
- Relevant and qualifying educational background.