Norwegian Refugee Council, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Closing Date for Applications:
Do you want to join NRC's newly established NRC country programme - Burkina Faso and Niger, as our new HR Manager?
We are looking for a motivated and committed colleague to join our team in Burkina Faso/Niger and take on the dynamic and strategic key role as HR Manager. Burkina Faso/Niger is in a start-up phase and will be managed by one Country Director (CD). You will report to the CD and be part of the country management group. You will be required to travel frequently to Niger and the area offices.
An unprecedented humanitarian emergency is unfolding in Niger and Burkina Faso where armed violence and insecurity have triggered massive population displacement and worsened the living conditions of some of the country’s most vulnerable communities. The escalation of conflict has brought Burkina Faso to be the country most affected by the upsurge of violence in 2019, with over 123,000 people displaced in Burkina from January 2019 and a total of 170,000 from the beginning of the crisis. NRC conducted a scoping mission in May 2019 and has been setting up a Country Office since July 2019. Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Country Director Burkina Faso & Niger, you will be responsible for the following:
- Implementation of the Global Standards and initiatives at the Burkina Faso & Niger Country Office (NRC People Management Systems, Talent Management, L&D initiative, Duty of care, PSEA).
- Ensure HR function is strategic; responsible for in country HR strategic priorities and pro-actively plan and feed into country wide strategies and plans, working closely with senior management and programs to ensure HR actively engages with the needs of the program; ensuring Area Offices are complying with NRC HR standards and procedures,
- Pro-actively working to support Area Managers and HR Coordinators in running an effective HR function in the Area Offices.
- Staff Care; Develop and implement a best-practice staff care program for all Burkina and Niger staff, ensuring adequate staff care systems are in place and implemented across the country.
- National staff development and capacity building focusing on new HR and Admin staff.
- Support and guidance to the international staff.
- Strengthen the recruitment processes ensuring adherence to the minimum standards.
- Strengthen training and inductions on boarding and off boarding.
- Improve the quality of Performance Management conducted by line managers across the Burkina Faso and Niger country office (embedding a culture of performance).
- Administration: Office and accommodation management: (offices, residences and guesthouse).
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a senior HR Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context; experience from working in complex and volatile contexts is an asset.
- Proven ability to interpret human resources procedures and standards and put them into practice and influence others in their implementation.
- Strong analytical and planning skills as well as be able to demonstrate experience of working with computerized HR systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to work as part of a dispersed, multi-disciplined and multi-cultural team.
- Sensitivity and champion to gender issues.
- Fluency in French and English, both written and verbal is required.
- Internal, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
- Good sense of humour.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust