Human Resources Assistant
The United Nations Office at Geneva , Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
- This position is located in the Vacancy Management Unit of the Human Resources Management Service (HRMS), Division of Administration, United Nations Office at Geneva. The incumbent will report to the Human Resources Officer in the Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the selection of candidates for secretarial, clerical and related categories positions; including evaluating and screening applications of such candidates, preparing profiles of candidates, and conducting preliminary interviews, and conducting roster searches for vacancies and identifying short-lists of candidates.
- Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities.
- Assists in organizing and coordinating competitive recruitment examinations and recruitment test, including acting as the focal point for the organization of the Global General Service test (GGST) and the Language Proficiency Exam (LPE) in Geneva.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and tracking status of vacancy announcements.
- Advises staff on visa and other recruitment/onboarding related matters.
- Assists in the organization and conducts of training courses and workshops.
- Provides logistics and administrative support to trainers.
- Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification.
- Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
- Maintains HR-related automated systems and applications including automated databases containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports. Assists the Human Resources Officer in updating monthly recruitment statistics.
- Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications; sets up and maintains files/records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
- Provides back up support to the Office of the Chief, HRMS.
- Prepares written response to queries concerning HR-related matters.
- Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit.
- Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. Ability to organize, plan and administer recruitment-related tests and handle information discretely. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required.
- Experience in handling high-volume recruitments, including administering recruitment exams in international organizations is desirable.
- Experience in organizing training workshops is desirable.
- Experience providing office support to senior officials is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English and French is required.