The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
To provide Human Resources administrative assistance and support in compliance with DRC's and local guidelines and procedures.
General Human Resources
- Advises and assists management and employees in Human Resources related issues and concerns
- Reviews Human Resources processes and suggests improvements
- Implements DRC’s Human Resources systems and procedures for DRC in Iraq as per the Operations Handbook, ensuring adherence to policies, guidelines and donor requirements and local labour
- Provides HR support to base/area offices as needed
- Supports on other tasks when required and any other related tasks assigned by the line manager
Compensations & Benefits
- Manages, updates and processes the staff payrolls in close collaboration with the other departments, and ensures onward submission to finance department
- Ensures that all relevant deductions are effected on a monthly basis
- Prepares and submits required reports on a monthly basis for auditing purposes
- Ensures that records of all Human Resources related information is kept and sent on timely basis to relevant parties
- Assists in inducting training on Code of Conduct, Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, etc. as needed
- Arranges timely induction and orientation sessions and code of Conduct Training for all new national staff according to DRC standards
HR Information System/ Employment Documentation
- Ensures all staff information are entered in DRC Dynamics HR and updated in a timely manager
- Prepares staff contract and ensures any required documentation for extension of contract, end of contract, exit/ clearance are in place
- Supports in compiling recruitment documents, posting recruitment advertisements, orientation/induction processes, learning and development, performance management, maintenance of staffing tables and organizational charts and processing of contracts
- Registers all records of HR related information in Country Office (HR database, leave and documents for personnel files, including interview records) are sent on timely basis by Managers and staff
- Maintains personnel files in the Country Office, confidential central records of the Field Office processes including grievances and complaints and coordinate their resolution according to DRC’s CoC Reporting Mechanism.
- Assists in people planning activities (e.g. ensure job descriptions are in place for all roles)
- Provides guidance to hiring managers on job reviews and development of post descriptions
- Ensures that the performance appraisal process is conducted, and that there are learning and development opportunities available to the employee
- Assists Country Human Resources Manager in launching and organizing annual Performance Appraisals and collates development plan
- Assists or drives recruitment processes as needed
- Validates job offers for successful candidates, reviews and recommends level of remuneration for new hires, coordinates the placement of volunteers in coordination with programme team, and administer their related issues
- Assists or drives people well-being initiatives
- Provides administrative support in the staff care sessions as needed
Reporting to: Human Resources Manager
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in Human Resources management, administration, change management, and/or organizational development
- Technical skills in managing compensation and benefits.
- (I)NGO experience is preferred
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience using an online system for recruitments
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or relevant field
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, databases)
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Arabic
- Fluency in Kurdish
- Support Services Manager
- Country Human Resources and Administration Team
- Supply Chain Team
- Safety Team
- Liaison Consultant
- Country Office Support Services team
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.