The Humanitarian Assistance - Technical Specialist will join Blumont’s Program Quality and Learning Division based in Arlington, Virginia. S/he is responsible for providing technical leadership, operational support and guidance in humanitarian assistance across a range of sectors including camp coordination and camp management, food security, livelihoods, shelter and settlements, and protection. S/he will work closely with the program teams (in the field and HQ) to help design and provide technical support for the humanitarian program portfolio, namely in camp coordination and camp management. S/he will work closely with the Business Development Division to design and contribute to technical proposals. She/he will represent Blumont in key humanitarian forums, ensure program quality and learning, build capacity of teams, identify new business opportunities, and contribute to the organizational learning across the humanitarian assistance portfolio.
Essential Job Functions:
- Represent Bumont at key Humanitarian forums in Washington DC including relevant humanitarian coordination mechanism technical working groups, seminars, workshops, and donor meetings.
Program Quality and Learning
- Ensure that humanitarian projects implemented by Blumont are of highest quality and meet global standards (Core Humanitarian Standards, SPHERE etc.).
- Promote systematic program learning to ensure that lessons learned are identified, documented and shared across country programs and the overall HA portfolio.
- Collaborate with the Early Recovery and Economic Development Technical Communities of Practice to ensure global organizational best practices are leveraged across all Blumonts projects.
- Support Monitoring and Evaluation teams to make sure learning effectively informs current and future programming.
- Ensure that gender equality, safeguarding, and the centrality of protection is mainstreamed throughout HA projects.
- Provide technical support to the Program Quality and Learning Division and HQ and program teams in the field through technical backstopping, review and support in program reports and other donor deliverables.
- Support to country programs to ensure all tools, guidelines and procedures required in emergencies and HA contexts are in place, understood, and utilized by Blumont staff and partners.
- Lead on organizational learning products and tool development including humanitarian response plans, HA manuals, white papers, and guidelines.
- Lead on identifying capacity and gap analysis among humanitarian team members and developing capacity building plans to improve program quality.
- Support the continual professional development of the humanitarian team through a combination of approaches – remote training, on the-job support and guidance; in-person training; technical backstopping, advice etc.
- Approximately 50% of the position is dedicated to new and follow-up business development including writing technical proposals and concept notes, conducting capture, providing technical proposal oversight, and contributing to proposal management and coordination.
- Maintain relationships with governmental and institutional donors and other key stakeholders for networking, consultation, and new business development.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 8 years of international experience working in humanitarian assistance with robust knowledge of international norms, minimum standards, and best practices in the field.
- Master’s Degree in international relations, humanitarian assistance, social science, or other relevant fields.
- A track record in the solution design, development, and writing of successfully awarded proposals.
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking and ability to respond effectively to changing contexts and new challenges.
- Strong experience in capacity building and mentoring of others. Demonstrated high level facilitation, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Excellent written communication skills including experience in proposal writing and donor reporting.
- Commitment to respect cultural differences and the ability to work effectively with people from a range of background and experiences.
- Evidence of knowledge on conflict sensitivity, and Do No Harm approaches and how to apply these to humanitarian programming.
- Commitment to upholding protection principles and gender equality and knowledge of how to apply these to humanitarian programming.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience in leadership positions/advisory roles in camp coordination and camp management in the MENA.
- Experience providing capacity building, mentoring and training using both remote and in-person approaches.
- Experience successfully working on or directly in a wide range of complex humanitarian settings including conflict, natural disaster, and climate change related contexts.
- Deep understanding of humanitarian architecture, principles; and emerging issues, policies, and practices within humanitarian assistance.
- 10%-20% of time to the MENA region, and potentially other locations.
Physical Requirements: Normal Office Conditions.