Norwegian Refugee Council, Iraq
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
We focus on assisting the newly displaced, those experiencing protracted displacement in camps, and people returning to and living in hard-to-reach places by improving their chance of obtaining a durable solution. NRC runs integrated programmes across Iraq to respond to people in need using our shelter and settlements, education, camp management, legal assistance, livelihoods, and cash activities.
The purpose of ICLA officer position is day to day implementation of the ICLA Programme. The main duty of ICLA Officer is to provide mobile legal assistance to beneficiaries who are unable to claim or realize their Registration Civil Documentation (RCD) or Housing, Land and property (HLP) rights on their own.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide mobile legal assistance to beneficiaries who are unable to claim or realize their RCD or HLP rights on their own (i.e. irregular cases or those with particular vulnerabilities).
- Assess the need for provision of financial assistance to vulnerable IDPs to cover administrative or legal fees, or transportation allowance to attend administrative or court proceedings;
- Input and update beneficiary data into ICLA’s case management tools, and periodically disaggregate and analyze data gathered during legal assistance activities in order to identify trends;
- Compile up-to-date information on relevant Registration Civil Documentation (RCD) & Housing, Land and property (HLP) laws, procedures, and practices
- Advocate for recognition of the RCD & HLP rights of displaced persons when engaging with stakeholders, including building owners, local authorities and humanitarian partners
- Undertake regular monitoring & evaluation of ICLA activities, and contribute to monthly progress reports on activities, highlighting any technical or operational successes
- Adhere to ICLA policies, donor agreements, work plans, budgets and procurement plans
- Adhere to NRC’s Human Resource, Financial, Logistics & Security policies and procedures, and coordinate with these support departments to ensure timely implementation of ICLA activities
- Any other tasks assigned by line manager.
- A University degree in law, and a license to practice law in Iraq
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with legal representation in civil law matters in Iraqi courts, including familiarity with RCD and/or HLP laws, procedures and practices operative in Iraq
- Demonstrable experience in negotiating with government authorities and/or building owners, and in advancing the interests of vulnerable beneficiaries before such stakeholders
- Proven skills and experience in case management and conflict resolution
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook;
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and knowledge of English is required.
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision in a challenging environment
- Pro-active, goal-oriented and results driven
- Flexible and creative
- Excellent communication skills