Background Information - Job-specific
THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE SPANISH OR EUROPEAN UNION CITIZENS OR APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN SPAIN ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility. Within the Enterprise Solutions Services (ESS)/America programme, this post will report to the Information Systems Officer or his or her designate in the Web Services Development Group responsible for architecting and developing UN public websites.
S/he will assist with customization or development, as well as maintenance of Drupal 7 and Drupal 8/9 modules and themes; will assist with the requirements gathering and review of new features, will design mockups and create wire frames for different web and mobile based solutions, will help implement front-end designs that are user friendly, mobile friendly, adhere to UN corporate branding, are accessible for persons with disabilities in alignment with international standards and that support all six official UN languages for multiple web applications; will assist with the migration of existing websites from a variety of legacy web content management systems (WCMS) to UN standards-based website platforms; and will assist with incident and problem resolution with websites.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will directly work under Information Systems Officer or his designate in New York and will be responsible for the following duties:
- Understand and fully analyse functional requirements documentation and stakeholder inputs covering all aspects of the user interfaces of online web/database. This includes data entry, management and administration interfaces as well as public-facing websites providing interactive visualisation and access to data.
- Produce professional layout and design plans, wireframes, and proposals that meet any given brief, including alternative approaches and best practice recommendations from other use cases.
- Present plans and designs for feedback to the project team, key clients and other stakeholders as necessary, including in the form of static images and HTML/interactive prototypes.
- Following agreement on selected designs, help create the necessary CSS styles and templates and assist with their implementation in the application/website
- Make iterative design adjustments based on user feedback
- Provide comprehensive reviews of existing applications and provide recommendations for UX improvements
- Assist the Manager with the performance of site-building activities, including assistance with creating and modifying views, contexts and blocks to match functionality specified in wireframes and designs.
- Provide assistance to the theme of responsive Drupal 7 and Drupal 8/9 websites and Node.js applications as per UN branding, accessibility, and multi-lingual standards.
- Support the preparation of technical documentation.
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of Results
This initiative will help support the development of a continuously maintained and enhanced Drupal and other web applications platforms. It will also support the rapid delivery of new low cost features and enrich departmental websites in an Enterprise hosted environment. The initiative will also track UN website standards compliance KPI’s as part of the ICT strategy and the website governance project.
- Completion of secondary education (High School diploma) is required.
- University Degree (Bachelor's or Master's Degree) is desirable and may substitute for some of the required number of years of experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in providing assistance to design, development, implementation and maintenance of web sites or web applications is required with a high school degree .
- Experience with wire-framing and prototyping tools.
- Experience in assisting with the development of responsive and mobile websites or web applications.
Desirable: (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- Proficiency in using Git for source control management.
- Experience with Agile project development and product delivery.
- Experience with REST API integrations.
- Experience designing for Drupal platforms.
- Knowledge in automated testing, automated deployment processes, and continuous integration.
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- Knowledge of project management methodologies such as PRINCE2.
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required for this post.
- Knowledge of one or more official UN languages will be considered an asset.