Background Information - Job-specific
General background of the project / assignment
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is a United Nations body responsible for infrastructure, procurement and project management (General Assembly Resolution 65/176 of 2010). Our mission is to help people improve their living conditions and countries to achieve peace and sustainable development.
Since 1997, UNOPS began its operations in Guatemala in order to support the efforts prior to the signing of the peace agreement and later, following that initiative, it provided support to the Commission for Historical Clarification. Likewise, it has participated in boosting the local economy, by carrying out productive projects; In 2000, it focused on providing assistance to the Government of Guatemala, offering advisory services, project implementation, and transactional services.
In the last 24 years, it has contributed in the following areas: culture, sports, recreation, justice, governance, health, education, tax collection, decentralization of services, environment, water and sanitation, institutional strengthening and infrastructure.
Guatemala's social security system has a hospital infrastructure gap of 2,500 beds, hospitals and medical unit clinics. Faced with this, the IGSS Board of Directors has prioritized an infrastructure Modernization Plan through the construction of hospitals, clinics and health units, through two phases.
The first phase of the Master Plan for the Modernization and Expansion of the Hospital Network and IGSS services was developed during the years 2007-2018 and had the technical assistance of the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) for the construction , equipping and supervising hospitals in Guatemala City, Quetzaltenango, Sololá, Totonicapán, San Marcos, Huehuetenango, Quiché, Quetzaltenango and Puerto Barrios.
In this context, the second phase to be developed between 2020 and 2025 involves the construction of two (2) hospitals and their respective equipment, as well as the design of another four (4) hospitals, through UNOPS, through the INFRAIGSS program with the in order to increase the coverage of medical care through infrastructure that improves and brings health services closer to the beneficiaries
As part of this Master Plan, the IGSS Technological Update Plan will be carried out, whose objective is to improve and update the IGSS IT technology to give it the required capacity not only to continue providing IT services in accordance with current needs, but also to ensure that it responds efficiently to future technological demand. For this, a solution architecture will be designed and implemented that responds to the needs of the business, integrating the dimensions of applications and services, data and information, and technology.
Purpose and scope of the assignment
- It seeks to incorporate a Specialist in Medical Informatics to apply information sciences in the context of medicine, integrating computers, specialized software, formal medical terminology and communication systems that optimize the use of information in the areas of health.
The Medical Informatics Specialist will be responsible for:
- Design and execute a work plan aimed at strengthening the Institute in those aspects related to Medical Informatics, from the point of view of the integration of health science, health information systems, computer science and management sciences.
- Manage the Telemedicine and Teleradiology installation project.
- Supervise the fulfillment of the different projects associated with Medical Informatics.
- Provide technical assistance required by the Project Manager (TIC) or whoever it designates.
In addition to the functions described above, the successful candidate must be able to independently apply the duties and responsibilities of the success criteria of the projects listed below:
Result and performance:
- Analyze the current systems of the Institute and formulate a proposal that allows optimizing the interoperability between the systems, the health records of patients and their adequate articulation and integration in the healthcare process.
- Carry out a diagnosis that allows detecting the potential risks that prevent the incorporation of state-of-the-art technology into the Institute, guaranteeing the optimization of the management and control of the medical services provided by the Institute.
- Actively participate in the definition and implementation of the computer systems involved in the assistance and registration of the clinical data of the affiliates and beneficiaries of the Guatemalan Social Security Institute, specifically in the following aspects:
- Availability of immediate, safe and complete clinical information, ensuring interoperability, standardization and its correct interpretation.
- Ensure efficient processes in the health services that the Institute provides, including the design and implementation of computer tools that contribute to clinical decision-making in real time.
- Encourage the implementation of support tools for clinical decisions, and thus facilitate and reduce the variability of prescriptive, diagnostic and therapeutic behaviors according to the Evidence-Based Medicine Guidelines designed by the Associate.
- Actively participate in meetings aimed at formulating policies for the use of the Institute's software, considering good practices in health informatics.
- Collaborate actively with the / the Technological Infrastructure Specialist, the / the Software Specialist, the / the Information Security Specialist, in projects related to the updating of technological infrastructure.
- Actively participate in the definition of functionalities associated with a computer system that allows the creation, validation and management of electronic clinical documents, with the corresponding Electronic Medical Record that allows information to be provided to the health team according to the needs of the Institute.
- Provide technical assistance in the technological incorporation required by the Institute, with special focus on electronic documents, electronic medical records and digital signature applied to the core processes of the Institute.
- Plan and manage the Telemedicine and Teleradiology installation project.
- Provide technical support to the Program Manager and Project Managers in the preparation of reports in their area of expertise.
- Contribute to the knowledge networks related to Information Technologies linked to the field of Health, disseminating good practices in the area of said specialty.
- Collect comments, ideas and internal knowledge about Medical Informatics, applying and using them productively.
Monitoring and progress controls:
- The Medical Informatics Specialist will be supervised by the Project Manager (TIC) and their work will be periodically verified and evaluated. To do this, they must, among other activities, prepare and submit work reports on a regular basis.
- Control, monitoring and advice that allows efficient execution of work programs, providing input and recommendations for each of them.
Education / Experience / Language requirements
Qualifications and experience
- University degree (equivalent to Bachelor Degree) in the following careers: Medical, Systems Engineer and / or Information Sciences, Biomedical-Clinical Engineer.
- Advanced knowledge of the design and exploitation of large volumes of data in health systems is desirable.
- Knowledge of statistical programs (STATA) and programming in R or Python is desirable .
- Training and / or certification in project management is desirable.
- Experience is required in at least three (3) projects associated with Medical Informatics, preferably Telemedicine in public or private health organizations or institutions.
- Desirable experience in leadership of interdisciplinary teams, including health and IT personnel.
- Desirable experience in software development or implementation projects for the health sector: hospital information systems, radiology information systems, Telemedicine.
- Experience and / or knowledge in the application of the standard in Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) and in Image Communication and Archiving Systems (PACS) will be valued.
- Desirable experience in projects in the field of international organizations.
- It is desirable to have knowledge and / or experience in the components of health information systems, including, among others:
- Administrative Layer: ADT (Admission / Entry, Registration and Transfer), Web Shifts.
- Clinical layer: EHR (Electronic Health Record) for hospitalization, on-call, outpatient and home medicine.
- Knowledge and / or experience in the design of medical information systems, which include:
- The architecture and models.
- The clinical data repository.
- The levels of computerization required / advisable.
- Data entry (free / structured).
- Prescription systems (CPOE).
- Clinical Document Architecture (CDA)
- Fluency in the Spanish language is required.
- Desirable intermediate level of English language.