Industry Analyst, FinTech
International Finance Corporation, Mumbai, India
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
- IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
- The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is one of the major industry groups at IFC, responsible for managing roughly 40% of IFC’s overall business in terms of volume and capital at risk. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network.
- As most industries in the age of Internet, financial services are undergoing a rapid transformation. While incumbents innovate in place mostly around products and channels, tech-enabled newcomers are rethinking the business models and reshaping the entire architecture of the financial services industry. We call this rising sub-industry Fintech.
- IFC is the largest emerging-market-focused development finance house in the world. For the past 10 years, IFC has built a diverse and promising global Fintech portfolio of about 60 equity investments in more than 25 emerging countries and disbursed over $500m. Fintech is a critical component of the World Bank Group’s strategy to expand the reach, efficiency and affordability of financial services as well as to contribute to higher productivity in the economy at large. As part of its strategy, IFC has created a small but fast growing and strategically important investment group that focuses in Fintech as part of IFC’s Financial Institutions Group.
- The Fintech team is seeking an Investment Analyst based in Mumbai with equity investment experience, preferably in the fintech sector. The Investment Analyst will support senior staff in the Fintech team to identify and assess investment opportunities in innovative Fintech companies that change and enhance the competitive landscape in South Asia. Key vertical of focus will be Payments, Lending, Insurtech and Capital Markets.
Role & Responsibilities :
The selected individual will be responsible to:
- Analyze financial statements and prepare financial models
- Conduct industry, market and company research
- Prepare investment-related documents for internal and external audiences
- Participate in all aspects of IFC’s deal approval process, including business development, due diligence and portfolio management
- Work with senior staff to help identify viable investment transactions across Asia through mapping, desk research, and pipeline management
- Understand business operations and different business models
- Help design and maintain proper KPIs for portfolio companies or pipeline opportunities.
- Minimum Bachelor’s or equivalent degree; candidates with strong technical or engineering background, coupled with financial knowledge, preferred.
- 2-4 year experience in investment banking, consulting or PE/VC, or Business Development with fintech company, preferred.
- Strong financial, analytical and modeling skills.
- Strong interest in developing markets, Fintech and emerging technology areas;
- Strong familiarity with financial software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office suite, research and financial databases, etc.).
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work successfully with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English; a multi-lingual background from other countries in Asia will be viewed upon favorably.