Background Information - Job-specific
Mali is facing a problem of weapons and explosive hazard contamination as a result of protracted and recent armed conflicts. The presence of explosive remnants of war (ERW), improvised explosive devices (IED) and insecure stockpiles of weapons and ammunition (obsolete, abandoned or neglected), poses a serious threat to civilians as well as to United Nations and humanitarian personnel operating in the country.
UNMAS deployed to Mali in January 2013 to conduct an emergency assessment of the situation with regard to explosive threats. In July 2013, the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) was established under Security Council resolution 2100 and is currently operating under Security Council Resolution 2531 (2020)). In accordance with these mandates, the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) has engaged UNOPS PSC to implement a mine action programme in Mali to:
- Improve the protection of civilians and facilitate humanitarian assistance;
- Enhance national capacity to mitigate explosive threats and enable compliance with international treaty obligations;
- Reduce the explosive threat to MINUSMA and United Nations personnel.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer, responsibilities of the Mali based IM Officer will include the following tasks:
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the Information Management team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development;
- Support the oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Information and Analytical Products
- Develop various types of information and analytical products used within Portal for ArcGIS web applications. Identify and adapt alternative solutions based identified reporting needs (various BI tools, Geocortex);
- Ensure high data quality standards, data verification procedures implementation and updates, development of relevant guidelines and documentation;
- Collect data requirements and identify data sources that can be used within tools to support decision making processes for the UNMAS Mali programme and its stakeholders;
- Facilitate the integration and use of key data sources across UNMAS systems landscape.
- Act as the IM lead for the organization and engage with heads of sections, projects and external stakeholders to implement the organizations IM strategic needs;
- Communicate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders for assigned activities, ensuring that all stakeholders are kept abreast of activity status and that feedback is taken into account as appropriate;
- Support the management and maintenance of UNMAS Mali systems and information architecture using platforms including Google Cloud Platform, ArcGIS Enterprise, Google G-Suite, among others to facilitate sustainable information management and analytics solutions;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of technical documentation, guidance, templates and training materials.
- Translate business requirements into functional and technical requirements, working with stakeholders to achieve consensus when needed;
- Provide implementation support for assigned programmes and activities, focused on system design, planning, and delivery of the UNMAS programmes global IMS, which is based on ArcGIS Enterprise and GeoCortex, to facilitate digitalized processes supporting the collection, verification, storage and analysis of data;
- Conduct trainings and other capacity building activities for UNMAS Mali personnel, implementing partners and relevant stakeholders on the use of information management, knowledge management and analytics tools.
- Maintain and update the country-IM strategy, in consultation with the stakeholders concerned. The strategy must include the internal management of information within UNMAS and the application of the Data Governance standards;
- Set standards for UNMAS data to be used throughout the country and by HQ, maintain and distribute standards to IM team and others working with operational data, including partner data;
- Demonstrated ability for leadership in the context of partnership building and consensual decision-making;
- Develop, manage, and implement data access procedures and licenses distributions;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Masters degree or equivalent) in Computer Science, GIS, Statistics, Mathematics, Data Analysis, or another relevant field with 5 years of relevant experience; OR
- First level university degree (Bachelors degree or equivalent) in Computer Science, GIS, Statistics, Mathematics, Data Analysis, or another relevant field with 7 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in design and implementation of complex IM systems (data architecture, enterprise architecture, processes and workflows)
- Experience in data management (data modelling, database design, migrations, etc.) is required.
- Fluent in French (read, write and speak) is required.
- Intermediary in English (read, write and speak) is required.