The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Protection Information Management (PIM) Specialist will be fully dedicated to leading and strengthening the quality of protection-related data management across DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti’s projects. To this end, she or he will play a key role in contributing to and support protection programing through the collection, analysis and sharing of information in a sensitive and appropriate way in accordance with professional standards for protection work. She or he will be responsible for contributing to the design of reports and thematic documents related to DRC’s protection programming in Ethiopia and Djibouti for both internal and external audiences, and will support the Protection Manager in identifying key protection trends and in the analysis of quantitative data in order to support the development of evidence based decision-making and strategies. Finally, the position is responsible for the design, implementation and management of program-related data and information management systems.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Develop, implement and maintain DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti’s protection database and information management systems.
- Rollout standardized protection databases and information management systems across DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti’s protection projects.
- Oversee the management of databases of confidential information and ensure there is provision for data security, including strict data handling and confidentiality protocols, weekly backup and recovery control.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of relevant documents on the humanitarian situation of Ethiopia and Djibouti, including mission reports, assessments and evaluations.
- Develop protection tools, with an emphasis on protection monitoring in close collaboration with the Protection manager and the field teams
- Enhance DRC staff’s knowledge and capacity to use relevant databases and in topics including data quality, and basic data analysis.
- Support field teams in rolling out protection monitoring frameworks and processes.
- Process data, compile and disseminate information for use in various protection-related materials, including but not limited to reports, briefings, analyses
- Support the Protection manager in conducting field monitoring visits.
- Support the Protection Manager and Head of Program in collecting and compiling information for new project proposals and concept notes.
- Collaborate with the MEAL Coordinator in the development and tracking of monitoring and evaluation plans for new projects.
- Support with general information management priorities of the DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti office as requested by the Protection Coordinator and Head of Program
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 2 years of experience with an NGO or UN agency, at least 1 year of which should be in an operational setting.
- Experience in developing, managing information and using databases in humanitarian settings.
- Experience compiling information for external dissemination.
- Good understanding of monitoring and evaluation processes, including conducting assessments and surveys.
- Good experience in research and data/information management, information security as well as quality assurance techniques.
- Strong understanding of humanitarian, displacement and protection issues.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and preferably MS Access or other databases, SharePoint online, and other modern tools.
- Strong knowledge of data collection, analysis and visualization tools and techniques, such as; Kobo, Power-BI, PivotTables/charts, google forms, among others.
- Understanding of GIS and cartographic outputs, and the ability to collect and organise data to support production or maps and infographics.
- Understanding Humanitarian Mapping.
- Demonstrated skills in PC troubleshooting, software and hardware support, networking, data backup, creating data entry forms and generating database report.
EDUCATION: Relevant university degree or qualification in information systems, communications, social sciences or related field.
LANGUAGE: Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English