Information Systems Assistant
United Nations Secretariat, Jerusalem, Israel
Closing Date for Applications:
This position is for a multi-talented and versatile IT professional within the Field Technology Section (FTS) of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO). The Information System Assistant will be based in Jerusalem and reports directly to the head of the Innovation and Security unit and indirectly to the Chief of FTS.
Within the limits of delegated authority, the Information Systems Assistant will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Assists with the planning of all information systems projects within the Mission, monitoring the progress of the systems analysis, design, development, testing and implementation of new, moderately complex systems, and/or, participates as a member of a team with responsibility for major components of more complex systems;
- Assists with the management of the Information Systems budget, formulating and monitoring budget allocations and expenditures, verifying funding and ensuring no overrun occurs;
- Supports the development of technical specifications for the procurement of innovation equipment and contractual services, and coordinates the technical evaluation of offers and proposals received;
- Handles all aspects of contract administration including the establishment of service level agreements with vendors and charge back policy for users;
- Assists the team with the development of strategies to implement global Innovation systems projects originating out of DFS/ICTD and the Mission;
- Assists the team with the development, implementation and monitoring of information systems standards, guidelines and procedures;
- Assists the team with the development of detailed systems and other functional specifications and user documentation as required;
- Provides advice to users, analysing user requirements and translating these into new applications; determines application systems integration and linkage issues;
- Maintains, upgrades or enhances existing user systems; troubleshoots and provides continuing support, to include resolving difficult problems, advising on the use of new techniques, monitoring transactions to measure performance and continued effectiveness of Innovation systems, etc;
- Supports the team with the development of training materials, operating and user manuals and trains staff in the use of assigned systems;
- Assists with the development of disaster recovery plans relating to information systems and ensures appropriate planning and training of those responsible;
- Researches, analyses and evaluates new technologies and makes recommendations for their deployment;
- Participates in writing reports and papers on systems-related topics, system requirements, information strategy etc;
- Develops the yearly work plan, mentors and supervises personnel of the Unit;
- Coordinate, assist, or as may be appropriate, conduct feasibility studies, project planning and development, proofs-of-concepts, prototyping, and implementation of new technologies.
Innovation & Technology Systems
- Participates in the development of plans for major Innovation & Technology systems' projects within the mission, monitoring the progress of the design, installation and commissioning of various networks and systems;
- Develop research and development (R&D) framework, methods and plans, and monitor research program and budgets for R&D;
- Identify ICT gaps and undertake assessments, research and/or study to determine appropriate measures to address the gaps or technology limitations;
- Undertake substantive technical engagements with internal stakeholders, including the sectors and field offices, as well es external partners and providers as deemed necessary and appropriate;
- Plan, coordinate, and design the underlying infrastructure that integrates multiple sensors and emergent force protection or sustainment technologies;
- Develop solution in Proof-of-Concept environment including testing, training and documenting infrastructure solutions;
- Provides guidance to, and may supervise, new/junior staff, consultants, etc.
- Knowledge of Information Systems and Telecommunications Technologies for large and complex organizational environments; ability to organize and manage diverse and cross-functional groups, across geographically dispersed locations, for institutional systems in conflict and post conflict areas; conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand information system and business operational issues so as to thoroughly analyze and evaluate critical systems matters; knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial, procurement and human resources policies and procedures; ability to provide specialized advice on a broad range of ICT issues to the Senior Management of the Mission; ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues and to review and edit the work of others; ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required,Training/certifications in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field is desirable;
- Studies and certification in ITIL is required;
- Studies and certification in “Prince2” Project Management is required;
- Certification in CompTIA Security is required;
- Advance studies and qualification in IT data security is desirable;
- Studies and certification in Microsoft Office 365 applications including Power Application products is desirable;
- Training in Business Relations Management is desirable.
- At least eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in Information Systems and Technology, or related area is required
- Experience providing services in a conflict or post-conflict setting either in the United Nations common system or comparable international organization is required
- Experience with network and data security is required
- Experience with UMOJA security provisioning is desirable
- Experience with supporting geospatial application is desirable
- Experience in managing the FTS service/support unit is desirable
- Experience in creating Office 365 power application (including power apps, BI reports and automation) is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required;
- Conversational skills in Hebrew or Arabic is desirable.