The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Cox's Bazar Offices (COs), Bangladesh.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
To coordinate and guide Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
Within delegated authority, the Telecommunications/Information Technology Associate will be responsible for the following duties (These duties are not all inclusive nor are all duties carried out by all Information Technology Assistants):
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Prepare and maintain a comprehensive inventory of all computer, telecommunications equipment, I/O devices and software existent in the region, country and sub-offices. Perform maintenance and minor repairs on hardware equipment;
- Oversee, install and maintain effective HF/VHF, satellite, telephone voice and data communications infrastructure in support of connectivity to WFP operational locations
- Manage the operation and maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems to ensure that Network Operating Systems support data base, documents, resources and other data files
- Manage all equipment and applications associated with electronic mail, etc. for all offices in the area; Maintain all Operating System, commercial, business and anti-virus software, ensuring compliance with registrations and upgrades.
- Ensure timely installation and upgrading of LAN/WAN information systems (e.g., Resource Mobilization, Logistics Management, Purchasing, Financial Accounting, anti-virus and industry standard applications, etc.
- Receive, test, and install systems and telecommunications hardware. Maintain and analyses telecommunications data and statistics to be able to identify, recommend and implement cost saving measures.
- Provide accurate and timely radio, telephone, satellite communications data for updating country office and regional information databases
- Install security telecommunications infrastructure as defined in the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) in support of staff security
- Provide staff training on all hardware, software, files management/maintenance and LAN/WAN systems; carry out periodic computer skills surveys to determine end user knowledge of applications; and identity training requirements and propose cost effective measures to upgrade staff skills
- Manage and maintain the HF/VHF callsign and HF recall system in coordination with ETS/UNDSS;
- Establish control systems to ensure that all telecommunications equipment is in proper repair and working order to maintain satisfactory communications between users;
- Integrate voice radio, satellite and telephone communication systems with various information systems/technologies as required;
- Identify and test new telecommunications software and hardware for improving and upgrading system performance and install any technology upgrades as required;
- Develop and recommend strategies to address specific telecommunications connectivity needs of the country office;
- Train staff in the use of telecommunications equipment/systems including ensuring good operations protocols, procedures and discipline;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- EDUCATION: Diploma/bachelor’s degree in computer science, Telecommunications or Electrical Engineering or relevant. Having recognized certificates in Radio Communications, Information Technology, Telecommunication or other related electronic communication field are desired.
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 5 years’ experience with telecommunications installations and equipment demonstrating hands-on expertise with HF/VHF radio, PABX, VSAT, wireless, satellite, WAN and LAN technologies in a globally distributed telecommunications operation. Exposure to Windows server operating system, AD, Microsoft Office 365, LAN, WAN, WLAN technologies.
- LANGUAGE: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bangla. Desirable working knowledge of a second official UN language